16:31

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

My layout

Old 26th July 2009, 21:12

Another useful addition to the WPR stocklist.
Great conversion, Alex

Old 20th September 2009, 20:16

Hi guys,

I've finally done some work on my layout, piccies below.

The general view shows additional work to the church area. A new semi detached house at the bottom with two large gardens. Just to the right can be seen some work done at the end of the station platform.

A new bus garage is also under construction at the other end of the layout. It's made from 5mm balsa wood with some plastic strip detail.

Last but not least my WPR J94. Not sure of the exact colour. I know the WPR engines wore various colours from Caledonian Blue, Army olive drab to two tone chocolate. But at least I now have a representational WPR coal train.

Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg general.jpg (78.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg bus-garage.jpg (46.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg J94.jpg (69.9 KB, 13 views)
Old 20th September 2009, 21:06

Thanks for the progress report Alex. I particularly like the bus garage. Although I use quite a bit of balsa myself it doesn't seem to get mentioned very much in railway modelling circles nowadays.
Old 21st September 2009, 00:36

Alex,

Well done, good progress and hope the video was of some relevant interest. I'll be assisting with the excellent "Alloa" at the Model Rail Scotland exhibition in Glasgow in late February next year. It's well worth a visit and Alloa is an outstanding model. (I've had no hand whatsoever in its creation but I'm on the list of "qualified" operators for exhibitions). If you're there, drop by and say hello. (We're also booked for Doncaster last weekend in January.)

Mike
Old 21st September 2009, 22:28

Nice layout Alex and you've manage to attract almost 1000 hits!!
Dont forget to fill in your beds between the sleepers and make a shoulder, it will hide the depth of those sleepers which together with the height of the rail must be a scale 3 feet nearly!! It will give your already impressive rolling stock pictures that added touch of realism, as you get where the grass bank obscures the track in some of your pix.
Old 22nd September 2009, 19:39

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies, very encouraging.

Swisstrains

A couple of my scratch built wagons were made from balsa wood. I've always made stuff from balsa as I find it a very versatile product. If it wasn't for the fact there there is a lot of kits available I would have made more of my own buildings. Getting too old and lazy I guess.

Mike

I may go to Glasgow next year. Will you be going to Dundee next month?

Klordger1900

I'd thought about adding ballast to the rails but I know I'm going to change the layout at some point. I would like to continue the layout all the way round the inside of the shed and raise the level up to about 4'. Everyhting on the layout is pinned at the moment so it will be easy to lift off. All the house's have track pins in the corners and are simply pushed into the expanded foam boards. Likewise the hedges, fences, walls, etc are the same, so if need be it can be dismantled in a matter of minutes.

Alex