00:54

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

New Express Freight Train for parcels.

Old 19th March 2021, 13:19

New Express Freight Train for parcels.

A new express freight train that will provide a low-carbon solution for parcel transportation around the UK is being developed by Eversholt Rail.

The Swift Express Freight train is being designed with Ricardo and will see Class 321 No. 321334 converted to be able to travel at 100mph and hold up to 12 tonnes of parcels.

Trials for the new Swift Express Freight service will be launched in June 2021 following work at Wabtec in Doncaster, which is due to start in April.

The work in Doncaster will include the removal of passenger features, new flooring, container equipment and a new livery.

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/03...eid=aa4ee9b801

Old 20th March 2021, 05:44

We used to have the Blue Spot parcels delivery service in smog hollow.
A couple of red rattler single decker emu motor cars converted into parcels vans.
Go like the clappers.
Sadly delivering parcels by rail was deemed too much of a waste of time and moolah.
Far better to have it dun by private road vehicle instead.
Capitalism, PHOOEY !
And, back up til the late 1980s we had the regional Mail Trains.
W 249 / 248 the west region eggspress parcels that ran in conjunction with W59 / 58 west mails.
NO, we didn't have the pouch hoop dingus to catch and drop off mail pouches on the fly.
But, there were letter posting slots in the side of the TPO (travelling post office) vans.
Travelling posties rattling along inside them TPO vans sorting the mail.
YES, it would be bonzer to see such services return to the metals here.
But, I doubt it.
Steve.
Old 20th March 2021, 14:47

Nice to see that the Dusty Bins are being recycled, even though they're utterly gutless.

I see that they're getting 'new flooring'. Just as well since the existing ones are rotten.

I had a 4-car one die on me at Baldock once. It drove normally up til then. After station duties were completed I shut the doors and pulled the power handle - nothing. Checked the Traction Interlock light (ie, all doors proven to be closed) - all OK. Put it into reverse and took power against the brake - nothing. Changed ends and tried to take power from the rear cab - nothing.

The damn thing just got tired of living and gave up the will to live. I had to call for Assistance Protection, and ended up with an 8 car 365 on the back. Even as a 12 Car with the front 4 dead, the back 8x 365s still had loads of ooomph. Good old 365s, so reliable.

That was actually quite strange - sitting in a 321 cab and operating its dead controls, but going like stink every time I took power.

Just another day day at the Fun Factory, I guess.

Cheers, John.

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 20th March 2021 at 14:49.
Old 20th March 2021, 20:03

Bring back Green Arrow to life.
John.