13:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Yet another project

Old 18th November 2008, 17:53

Yet another project

Following a successful visit to the NRM at York the starting of another steam loco has begun. This will be the third steam loco for 45 mm gauge being built and will accompany the Decauville and Guinness steam tram. The project is a 1/10 scale L&YR Wren for which the name Tit has been suggested it also being a small bird. You may ask why I am building three engines at the same time, the answer is that I do not always have the required piece of material or informating needed for 'that little detail' so rather than wait until it comes to light I can carry on with an alternative and thus keep out of 'SWMBO's way.That is the background to the project.
The trip to York resulted in lots of photos where the camera was poked into the most intimate recesses of the engine and many details had photos taken, were measured or were felt after laying on the floor so I could reach as far underneath as possible and feel what was hidden from view. I have gathered together many photos and a few drawing/sketches but today I have managed to order the Wren general arrangement drawing of 1886 from the Museum. I must say I have been treated very well by the Search Engine staff and hope to have my drawing within 28 working days but as there is an order for prints going to the printer this week I may not have to wait that long.
While waiting for the correct details to come there are many I can work out for myself such as a suitable boiler. I know various details regarding the original but in the end will use the nearest standard size of copper tube which in thias case is 3 inches and does correspond to the measured 30 inches of the original so I have plenty to do before the drawings arrive. In the meantime the boiler tube for the Guinness loco has arrived and I can make a start on that and also cut the frames from steel sheet.
But now I'm going for a nap.
John (G)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wren 20.JPG (117.0 KB, 12 views)

Old 18th November 2008, 20:41
Station Manager

One must assume that the young girl in the thumbnail attached is the the very same SWMBO that you keep on about.
Old 18th November 2008, 21:07

I had better not let her read that 'young girl' bit or else she will be getting ideas above her Station. Actually she does have some good ideas as when we got married her present to me was a complete set of castings for the LBSC 3 1/2 inch Virginia.
Must put it back together again some day.
John (G)

Last edited by Gandalf; 18th November 2008 at 21:08. Reason: spelling