16:31

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Who's got the biggest?

Old 25th August 2010, 23:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblewrap View Post
That was the one used on the "Southern" as mentioned in other posts.
If you look closely it appears to be very short, like it was built on a wagon chassis.

Old 26th August 2010, 00:07

Yes that one in the clip is a mock up of a short section of a carriage, the real thing seated 508 passengers in a four car set. The coaches were 62 feet long. (OH the joys of an old Ian Allan ABC BR Combined edition)

Regards, 62440.

Last edited by 62440; 26th August 2010 at 02:58. Reason: swapping an a for an e
Old 26th August 2010, 01:05

I have searched the web for two day but there is no page I can find where I can see the rolling stock dimensions in total for each country. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Old 26th August 2010, 12:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesmo View Post
It may be possible in the future as some of the freight routes are having their loading gauge increased due to the new taller Containers
But that will only give an extra foot clearance and in any case doesn't cover lines into the London termini where the double-decker trains would really come in handy. It's only being done because the shipping industry is moving en masse from 8'6" high containers to high cube 9'6" types and the UK's railways are belatedly trying to catch up. Should have been done years ago.

It's rather ironic that most of the places that have the clearance to easily run double-deck passenger trains have relatively little need of them - think the US, Russia, South Africa...
Old 26th August 2010, 18:16

am i sort of right in saying though, that you can't have double decker multiple units because the traction equipment takes up too much space and with MUs being much more popular amoung operators i doubt any double deck coaches would be ordered, even if they were within british loading gauge. notice all new 100mph or over german and french rolling stock is single decker.

I know you'll all shun me for saying this but multiple units are faster, more efficient and better for the track than locomotives and trailer coaches. -and that's another thing; double deck coaches must really rip up the track.

Last edited by ECML43; 27th August 2010 at 10:17.