20:16

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

G.W.R. Electrification

Old 3rd March 2011, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcaravanner View Post
So they are going to electrify the GWR and Midland Main lines I'm a lot younger than some of you guys and don't expect work starting this side of 2020
As for 5 coach units they are liked by rail management because they are cheaper than 7 or 9 which is actually whats needed for passenger numbers. So for some services they will just couple 2 together (but try to use just one crew to man it) but they won't do all of them just observe the Class 222 services Sheffield to St Pancras most are 5 car just occassional ones are 2 units coupled together.
Also note the XCountry 221/220 services Scotland - South West apart from 2 services running HST's there are just 4 timetabled runs which call for a 220+221 coupled together giving a 9 car unit (occasionally due to maintainence you get 2x221's or 2x220).

It would be nice to see other TOC's behaving like East Midland Trains who have a choice of 9car 5car or 4car sets to choose from depending on loading forecasts, I doubt that Arriva/Cross Country ever will as they do things as cheap as possible.
are you sure about other toc travel on most toc east milads lavesea lot to be disired gone down hillsince thy took over staff just wont to hijack you for fare

Old 3rd March 2011, 18:49

Think its going a while before the wires go up all the way Oxford will be first as plenty of return on investment.O/H is the only way to go more reliable in all weathers and for high speed,wouldnt it be good if 140mph could be attained.Then there would be real modol shift if this happened no need for dedicated h/speed lines just upgrade what we have and put tilt in.Think you would like o/h if it was done DB style very neat and unobtrusive have a look at it.
Old 4th March 2011, 09:39

In this day and age, even politics dictate, 'Electrification' is the only way to go, personally I'm all for it...mind you, could be a long wait for Penzance(where I live)
Old 6th March 2011, 16:59

It seems an odd concept to me to build a train as a high speed electric then
add the weight of several diesel engines underfloor and the weight of fuel seems a waste
of power
One of the politicians said in parliament that it would add 10 mins th hook up a loco at
Cardiff things have got slack when we had change from diesel to leccie at Ipswich
prior to 1986 they did the change in the time it took the passengers to alight and board
and with better couplings now they make and break 4 & 8 car sets at Colchester in the time it takes to bump up and do a break test
But then I dont believe anything politicians say