10:06

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Demise of Past time rail

Old 3rd July 2009, 20:34

Also sorry to hear of the company's demise. I travelled on the one-off "Tin Bath" including a trip up the Penistone line in March. That train was fully booked but a number of "Cotton Mills" have been cancelled over the last few months and maybe there was nothing more to be dredged from that market. The new "Fellsman" is sold out on the first two Wednesdays and because it only runs in high summer I suspect it will be OK. However, even the well established "Scarborough Express" was struggling to get good load factors last year so it will be interesting to see how the regulars fare in the coming season.

John W

Old 4th July 2009, 20:40

Sorry I couldn't get to the creditors meeting but I read in one of the railway magazines that they have debts in excess of £0.5 million so that I guess they must owe quite a few loco owners and stock providers as well as individual fare paying punters. It could have repercussions as I doubt if many will be able to stand big losses. A sorry business for all concerned.
Old 5th July 2009, 09:16

Thanks for the update, thats a lot of cash owing!!
All the best Mike.
Old 7th July 2009, 14:37

Not just Credit Card reimbursements!!

BBC Money Program recently said that Visa Debit card holders can also successfully claim re-imbursements - but that the Operators (such as Alliance & Leicester) don't offer it unless challenged...

May be of use to some Past Time Customers - hopefully.
Old 8th July 2009, 09:00

I'm sure that'll be useful info for some. Although, as a credit card payer, I should get my money back, and of course I'm thankful for that, but as credit (or debit) card customers, we all have to pay in the long run.

I hold no brief at all for the banks (especially after the events of the last few months) but I'm not entirely comfortable that I (and all the other banks customers) have to pay through charges, interest rates etc., for money lost by those running Past-Time Rail and all the other outfits that go bust. After all, it's not the bank's money - it's yours and mine!
Old 13th July 2009, 21:03

Good evening all
I was very sad to hear of the demise of Past Time Rail, I hope that everybody that is owed money is reinbursed in full. I also hope it does not put loco owners of making there loco's available for tours. I was not a customer of PTR but I did have a close call last year with Kingfisher Tours last year, it seems very sad that these firms seem to act in such duplicit manners towards there customers even though they must know there financial position when they accept bookings.
Old 15th July 2009, 08:33

I believe one of the catering companies which Past-Time used is owed £10,000 and I read that John Farrow of UK Railtours who used Past-Time as a booking agent has lost £110,000.

I would doubt that the creditors will actually get anything as I don't imagine that the company would have any assets to speak of which could be disposed of to raise some cash to pay off the debts (eg premises, equipment etc).

Last edited by reflector; 15th July 2009 at 09:40.
Old 18th July 2009, 12:47

Just to let you know the good news that my credit card company (MBNA) has credited my account with the full sum owed to me by Past-Time Rail. Thanks to them and to the liquidators who advised me how to go about it and the lesson for all is to pay by credit card.........just in case.
Old 18th July 2009, 14:51

One happy outcome from an unhappy situation, glad you got it sorted.
Regards Mike.
Old 22nd July 2009, 19:39

Thanks, quite a relief for me at least. I've just had the full list of creditors and it looks as though the amount owing is in excess of £550,000 so I'm sure many others will not be as fortunate. As I suspected, there are a few companies owed quite big amounts but mainly customers who had paid for trips, I guess, who are owed sums from just a few £s to several hundred.