02:02

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Northern rail services.

Old 27th January 2010, 14:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
The only exception is the 159 which is southern region only and the trains are much longer so there is a difference in performance.
The 159s with South West Trains are 3 car 158s that have been renumbered. In fact the 159s that are with South West Trains are the old 3 car ones that TransPennine Express had until 2006. No Sprinters have more than 3 carriages unless two units are joined together.

Old 27th January 2010, 16:24

northern trains

most units working in yorks are clean internaly and externaly but they sevviced at neville hill not newton heath whos trains were always dirty even 30 years ago
Old 27th January 2010, 19:25

As to the fire extingusihers that is unclear. They may have to be trained but they are designed for the use of the ordinary passenger. Where exactly is the training facility?

Not all 159s are just renumbered.
The 158s and 159s were built at the same place in Derby but only the original 22 were rebuilt from 158s. A later 8 I think were original 159s.

Again I must say that training needs to improve if it is done on one class only. If you are in charge of a trainload of people you need to be compitent so I suggest something here needs to change. I did not say all of the oldham loop trains were 142s I did say however that there was a lot of them. I knew there were some 150s and at least one 156 but the 153 is news to me.

Finally on the mid cheshire there is one 142 running and no more. If there is a second it may well be in for servicing but I have only collected one number. 142005.

My point is that Northern cannot go on like this. It is also true that none of its services serve food on the train not even the longer distance ones.
Thanks for the additional info people.
Old 27th January 2010, 21:21

Quote:
Finally on the mid cheshire there is one 142 running and no more. If there is a second it may well be in for servicing but I have only collected one number. 142005.
So am I correct in saying the reason we're disagreeing is because you went train spotting for a few hours and only saw one 142? If that is the case you need to be aware of unit swaps and maybe consider doing train spotting later on in the day and you'll see more than one 142.

As I've pointed out the 16:36 arrival at Piccadilly from Chester is a pair of 150s, once at Manchester the next destination for those units is Buxton and a 142 arriving from Newton Heath comes in to service for the 17:09 Chester via Altrincham. At the time this train leaves Manchester another 142 is between Lostock Gralam and Northwich heading towards Chester, with the 16:58 Stockport to Chester train inbetween the two being a Sprinter. A further 142 is also between Navigation and Stockport at this time heading for Manchester, meaning at 17:09 we have 3 142s running Manchester to Chester via Altrincham services.

Another place where there's a unit swap is the 09:17 Manchester to Chester service is a 150 attached to an out-of-use 142. On arrival at Chester the trains are seperated and the 142 forms the 11:07 Chester to Manchester service with the 150 remaining at Chester to be picked up later by another crew for the afternoon Helsby-Ellesemere Port service.

Quote:
It is also true that none of its services serve food on the train not even the longer distance ones.
Yes. However, the only route that Northern currently have that used to have a trolley service on it under the previous operators is York to Blackpool

Last edited by hstudent; 27th January 2010 at 21:33.
Old 27th January 2010, 22:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstudent View Post
So am I correct in saying the reason we're disagreeing is because you went train spotting for a few hours and only saw one 142? If that is the case you need to be aware of unit swaps and maybe consider doing train spotting later on in the day and you'll see more than one 142.
I train spot everyday when not working and during lunch hours and when I get home so it is an every day thing.
I have several hours from nearly everyday since august when I decided to study the workings exactly on my home line.
Are you classing the section between Manchester pic and stockport as part of the mid cheshire?
Officially the line begins at Stockport and goes through to Chester. This is what is called the Mid cheshire as we know it today. The bit from Stockport to Manchester is not.

So services to buxton to not traverse Mid cheshire metals at any point as from stockport it is WCML.

The proper mid cheshire I think starts from Skelton junction and finnishes at Mickle trafford. This is the section I am talking about.

Hope this clears it up.
Old 28th January 2010, 01:26

Can I point out that the class 159's were built as class 158's but were converted before entering service by having the drivers cab etc removed from the centre vehicle and seating areas installed along with bodywork changes to suit. This is why they are treated as a separate class and not as a class 158 sub class.

Regards, 62440.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:19

Quote:
Are you classing the section between Manchester pic and stockport as part of the mid cheshire?
I said:

at 17:09 we have 3 142s running Manchester to Chester via Altrincham services

I didn't say there are 3 different 142s on the Mid-Cheshire line at the same time but they are obviously different 142s that all run on the Mid-Cheshire line within the same hour in the evening as one 142 can't be in three places at once.

Quote:
I train spot everyday when not working and during lunch hours and when I get home so it is an every day thing.
The reason I'm doubting you see the late afternoon and evening trains is you specifically mentioned there was only one 142 on Tuesday, when in fact a Sprinter diagram was run by a 142 (The 15:17 Manchester to Chester and the 17:07 Chester to Manchester) so we possibly had 4 different 142s on the line on Tuesday afternoon/evening. (I didn't see the 17:09 Manchester to Chester service that afternoon so that may have been substituted with a Sprinter meaning we had the usual 3 142s and not an extra one.)

Quote:
I knew there were some 150s and at least one 156 but the 153 is news to me.
I don't think there were any 153s booked on the Oldham Loop but they could appear if there was a unit swap.

Last edited by hstudent; 28th January 2010 at 13:46.
Old 28th January 2010, 20:46

Hold on you said there were 153s in an earlier post did you not?
It is not just me for a start. I often talk to crews of the trains and the staff at Hale and Altrincham to ask how things are going.
I have a freind in Ashley and one in Mobberly who are retired and spend everyday down at those stations.When we meet in the pub I compare notes with these two.
If you talk to enough people you find out what you need.

Can you give the number of this other 142 you speak of?
I have not only done this on tuesday it is since last thursday that only one could be seen. I do like the class but a bit bumpy and far far too crowded for what is a main line.
Old 29th January 2010, 10:45

Quote:
Hold on you said there were 153s in an earlier post did you not?
I would class an occasional 153 running an Oldham Loop service as them running on the line even if they didn't run on the line every day.

Booked traction is not what always turns up. I caught the 08:5x service from Knutsford to Greenbank (at the time when it originated at St-Annes-on-Sea). The service from St-Annes was booked for 2x156s (and was sponsored by GMPTE to be such). About once a week the service from St-Annes was 156+150 and on some occasions was a single 156 and one day I remember a 156+142 and another day I remember a 150+142+142. Now imagine we didn't usually have any 142s on the line at the time - that would mean 142s did not run on the line even if they turned up for that one service occasionally?

Quote:
Can you give the number of this other 142 you speak of?
It wouldn't be the same 142 every day, as I already said I didn't see the service on Tuesday and it'd be difficult to get a train number when it's dark!

If you don't believe me then go to Piccadilly one day at around 16:30 you'll see the arrival of the 15:07 service from Chester (a pair of 150s) goes to Buxton around 10-15 minutes after arriving at Piccadilly. You'll also see 3 142s arriving in multiple at Piccadilly, which is new stock from Newton Heath, the front one is then detached from the rear two and the front one forms the 17:09 Chester service and the rear two form the 17:23 Hazel Grove service.
Old 29th January 2010, 12:27

Well most units on the line are there everyday with a few ecxeptions. It cannot be avoided that the 142s are being phased out on services on the mid cheshire (Stockport- Chester via Altrincham). They may well be used on the line to Buxton but this service and the one to Hazle grove are different lines altogether. The line to Buxton uses platform 0 at Stockport and trains to Chester via Altrincham use the oppostite side of the station.