18:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Railway Modelling

Birth of a layout.

Old 9th March 2007, 18:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev View Post
I spent this afternoon testing each point for its isolating properties, and have discarded four...............
Where on Earth did you get your points from Trev? Peco's quality control system isn't usually that bad.

Old 11th March 2007, 00:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisstrains View Post
Where on Earth did you get your points from Trev? Peco's quality control system isn't usually that bad.
I didn't write that very well John, sorry!

Three of the points were the ones I had trouble with before taking the track up. One didn't isolate, one didn't transmit power and the other one was the one that the 73 didn't like. The fourth one was just a bit dodgy so it got discarded anyway. I didn't want to get to the stage of finishing laying the track to find problems again, so I've only used those which I'm confident of. Famous last words!!!!

I started pinning the track down today, and have done quite a bit (despite the diversion of Rovers being on the TV...they won 22-20 and have gone top of the Rugby League Super League ). I'm testing every section with the 73 as I lay it, so fingers crossed that everything works as it should do when I've finished.

This layout uses ten points, and to be honest with you, it seems to be a better plan than the last one. A very long passing loop (which manages to give the impression of double track for almost half of the oval), DMU bay, carriage siding, loco refuelling/stabling point, and a small goods yard.
Old 11th March 2007, 11:00

Quote:
...............................This layout uses ten points, and to be honest with you, it seems to be a better plan than the last one. A very long passing loop (which manages to give the impression of double track for almost half of the oval), DMU bay, carriage siding, loco refuelling/stabling point, and a small goods yard.
Sounds good Trev. I always think it's better when a layout evolves instead of being built to a rigid plan. By all means use a published plan as a starting point but you will get more enjoyment from the layout if it is customised to suit your interests and requirements.
validate_wolves_logo_tcm15-1881.gif

P.S. Do you like my new Avatar?
Old 11th March 2007, 23:51

Quote:
P.S. Do you like my new Avatar?
Frankly speaking, it's a disgrace. If Warrington manage to turn over the resurgent Robins next weekend then I'll be complaining to Ian . There again, Warrington only managed to beat the black and whites from the KC stadium by one point so I reckon Rovers can do the business over there in Cheshire. And... er.... we won't mention St Helens

Finished pinning the track down today. And everything works !!!! I did a thorough test with each locomotive and there are no problems at all. I think I'm finally at the scenery stage!
Old 12th March 2007, 09:55

Quote:
.............................Finished pinning the track down today. And everything works !!!! I did a thorough test with each locomotive and there are no problems at all. I think I'm finally at the scenery stage!
Wonderful, go for it Trev
It's about time you started to see something for your efforts.

P.S. I am not really a Wolves fan but I will be looking out for the result next week, just for curiosity
Old 12th March 2007, 18:46
Station Manager

Trev,
Good to hear you have got it sorted. Hope you find as much fun in the scenery building as I did. Great to build a town or village up from scratch. You are town planner , builder and customer all in one so planning permission is not a problem. Post some shot of the layout before building starts then as you go. I enjoy seeing a layout coming together.
Syd
Old 13th March 2007, 21:06
Station Manager

Sounds good Trev. How about a photo or two!

John H-T.
Old 15th March 2007, 16:13

Hi Trev,
just been reading your column (supposed to be working!) i must say i have laughed and cried ! have forgotten how much fun model railway builing is! have a small oo london tram layout. I am currently planning a small Southern region emu layout, probably based on Bromley North.keep up the good work , i dont think i will swop to N from oo though!
tony
Old 16th March 2007, 00:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by melongrabb
i must say i have laughed and cried ! have forgotten how much fun model railway builing is!
Like I said, if this is fun, then I'm going to take up lion taming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H-T
Sounds good Trev. How about a photo or two!
I'd like to John, but I don't have a working camera at the moment. However, as soon as I can get one I'll post some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011
Hope you find as much fun in the scenery building as I did. Great to build a town or village up from scratch. You are town planner , builder and customer all in one so planning permission is not a problem.
It's the scenery that I'm looking forward to doing the most. I've taken a lot of inspiration from your layout, so when I do get around to uploading pics, don't get confused and think 'Hmm, now where have I seen that before?'

I won't be doing much this weekend, as I'm working, but come Monday I'll be going into town to buy a selection of flocks, powders and paints.
Old 18th March 2007, 21:21

Quote:

P.S. I am not really a Wolves fan but I will be looking out for the result next week, just for curiosity
Wolves.gif 30 HullKR.gif 12

Never mind Trev. At least the layout's progressing well.