14:14

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Request for photos - Ossett or Flushdyke

Old 5th July 2010, 21:53

Request for photos - Ossett or Flushdyke

I am currently writing a book on the history of the railways which passed through Ossett, West Yorkshire, and am looking for any photos of either Ossett or Flushdyke station. The line was constructed by the Bradford, Wakefield & Leeds Railway Company in the early 1860's. I do not wish to use the photos for anything other than study of the stations and their construction. Any help would be greatly appreciated in either seeing new images, or being pointed in the direction (internet) of any good pics. Also early pics of the L&Y line which ran through Healey Mills.

Old 9th July 2010, 22:34
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Nevthedigger. Hope someone can help you.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 9th July 2010, 23:06
Station Manager

Hello Nevthedigger and welcome to the Railway Forum. Sorry I can't help with your quest but as John H-T said we hope someone will be able to assist you.
Old 10th July 2010, 09:18

I was born in Ossett, and watched Healey Mills being built in the early 1960's.
To get to school, I had to cross this railway at Broadowler crossing, to walk upto Ossett Town Centre to catch a bus to Dewsbury.
At 07:50hrs I the local Wakefield to Batley Trip Train would pass over this crossing on its way to shunt Ossett Goods Shed.
Locos used were class J50's from Ardsley Shed. These numbers spring to mind, 68904/68910.
Flushdyke was about 1.5 miles away from this xing.
At Roundwood, there was a pit which tripped coal trucks up and down to an exchange siding, by Low Laithes Golf Club.
The M1 motorway bi sects the line just after jct 40c. North bound.
DMU sets operated a service from Wakefield Westgate to Bradford Exchange.
These DMU's used the down bay platform at Westgate. This bay platform was filled in some years ago and a wooden sculpture put up against a wall.

http://www.larkshill.org.uk/picturegallery.html

If you are not local, I can do a photo study of the remnants of this railway , as I can recall all these locations from when I walked and trainspotted along the length of this railway in my younger days.
Like owt else its gone.
Look thru that enclosed link as there are some pics of this railway before its demise.
I can also remember a Class J39 on a coal train at Low Laithers, its number was 64720.
Old 7th April 2011, 16:50

Dear Nevthedigger,
I may be able to help you considerably. There's far too much to cover in this reply, but I have (or have access to) a positive treasure trove of information and photographs regarding my 'home' line. I used to live adjacent to the railway as a child and I too (like HM181) remember the 'Ardsley Tanks 68904 & 68910 visiting Ossett daily. Please e-mail me to discuss this posting in more detail.
Kind regards - Soulmansteve
Old 24th February 2013, 19:16

Flushdyke

No Photos sorry but I have copied a page from an old timetable (1899) I have which might be of interest. There are other pages I have also. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flushdyke 00000.jpg (129.7 KB, 5 views)