06:36

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

'Split train' passengers rescued (BBC News)

Old 2nd April 2009, 18:47

Dumb question time. Is the driver aware that the train has split (and hence able to report it) and whats to stop the following train hitting whats been left behind as surely the signals team can't detect that it has split if the driver doesn't notice ?

There see I said it was dumb

Old 2nd April 2009, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesmo View Post
Dumb question time. Is the driver aware that the train has split (and hence able to report it) and whats to stop the following train hitting whats been left behind as surely the signals team can't detect that it has split if the driver doesn't notice ?

There see I said it was dumb
OK, there are 2 separate issues here. All modern trains are sprawling with safety systems, so something as major as the train coming apart will invoke an Emergency Brake Application *. If you read previous answers in this thread you'll find out about the Brake Continuity Wire on modern EMUs. Also Brake Piped trains like freight trains and HSTs will stop because the brake pipe pressure drops. Both halves of the train will come to a stand pretty smartish, and the Rulebook requires a driver to determine the cause ofany unsolicited brake application. So once he starts walking back down the train he'll notice that it has divided.

* It is possible to override this system to get a train moving again, but I won't go into details about this on a public forum, it might be useful to terrorists.

With regard to signalling, because both parts of the train stop close to each other, there's a good chance that they'll be in the same signalling section. Additionally if it's track circuit block signalling then they'd show up wherever they are. Plus of course the driver is required to inform the signaller immediately when the train divides.

HTH

Last edited by Flying Pig; 2nd April 2009 at 19:06.
Old 2nd April 2009, 20:42

Ah, I see. So the leading unit with the driver will stop as well automatically. I had it in my mind that it would go barrelling onwards in blissful ignorance of having left something behind.

Thanks for that, very informative