15:52

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Just to say hello to all .

Old 27th December 2021, 15:09

Just to say hello to all .

Hello to everyone . I currently live on the South Coast of England, I was born not far from the South Eastern divisions marshaling yard at Hoo junction in North Kent and spent hours watching the to and fro of freight trains during the 1980s .My railway interests lie in English railways and the motive power around in the 1980s of which I have considerable memories . Have a great day and here's to discussions with you in the future .

Old 27th December 2021, 15:19
Station Manager

Hello and welcome to the forum from all the Staff, join in, enjoy and all the best.
Old 27th December 2021, 17:05

Yo Cb and welcome to our forum.

I started my career with Connex SarfEastern at Misery Farm (Orpington) on Networker 465 & 466s. Although most of our work was slogging round the suburban routes I remember we had a single turn which worked all the way to Gillingham. It was interesting for 2 reasons...one was that Hoo Halt on the Down operated like a request Bus Stop. It was a single-car length platform, and we had to slow down on approach and look out for a freight driver flagging us down. Similarly if a driver wanted dropping off he had to come up to the cab at London and let us know, then he had to sit immediately behind the cab because you only opened the doors on the front coach, using SDO (selective door operation).

The other oddity of the turn was the unique situation of driving backwards to do a shunt at Rochester. Normally passenger train drivers aren't allowed to drive in reverse, ESPECIALLY with passengers on board but this arrangement was allowed under Local Instructions.

When you pulled into Rochester on the Down road you changed ends to the Uppity cab and a guard climbed into your Down cab. This was the only time we ever saw a guard as we were Driver Only Operation on all our other jobs.

Anyhow, when the guard completed his duties he would give you 3 on the bell, and you'd put the controller in reverse and run backwards at 20mph towards Sole Street until you pased the rear of a shunt signal. Then the signaller would set the route for Rochester and pull the dummy off, and you'd go forwards.

You just had to hope that the guard checked the (difficult to see) platform starter signal carefully, otherwise you'd be the proud owner of a rare "Category B Backwards SPAD".

A couple of my mates gained this 'honour', but I escaped it fortunately.

It would be the guard's fault of course but a driver always cops on their licence any SPAD that occurs to the train they're in charge of.

Anyway I hope you enjoy your time here.

Cheers, John

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 27th December 2021 at 17:43.
Old 29th December 2021, 22:34

Welcome to RF Charltonboy. I'm sure you will find plenty of discussions to interest you.