20:06

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Hello (Konnichiwa) from Tokyo, Japan!

Old 5th February 2022, 07:58

Sorry to hear of your sight problems Steve. That was interesting about the guided horse carts. In Pompeii there are channels in the road, but they were worn by the vast number of carts entering the city over the years. Congestion got so bad goods deliveries were only allowed at night. I heard this was where the rail gauge came from. Googled the O-Bahn bus system in Adelaide, like the part were cars sumps are ripped off if they enter the dedicated bus road. Guess I was lucky the other week just getting a £30 charge for entering a bus lane, it was a fair cop guv, got me bang to rights. A guided bus was tried in the 80's in Birmingham UK, "Tracline 65," I didn't know about it till seeing one of the busses in the Aston Manor Transport Museum.

Old 6th February 2022, 06:12

Ta Hereward, I think that you can only get into a hospital here if you have the plague and arrive in an ambulance.
I just hafta hope that things improve and I can get in to have me eye surgery at some stage.
I think that the horse cart guideway in smog hollow had something to do with delivery to the markets.
I remember some tv docco mentioning it some moons ago, but forget much of the detail.
Yes, there have been some musings about how standard gauge became.
I guess the you would need to dig up Robert and George to ask them.
I would presume a natural progression from horse carriages to rail carriages.
Horse carriage builders set up capable of producing rail wagons without too much change in technique.
The axle on a chariot needing to be wide enough to fit the frame so that the driver and archer could stand side by side going into battle.
And, horse drawn coal wagons on rails prior to the Rocket stomping along would have been a progression.
Some Yanks have stated that if they had the time again, they would opt for a wider gauge, something like the Ruskie gauge five foot.
Such providing a bigger loading gauge capacity.
Though Brunel did opt for his 7 foot gauge at a time when such was probably not feasible.
Ordinary bus lanes in smog hollow have CCTV cameras to catch wayward motorists.
Motorists legally ONLY able to enter to cross a bus lane where dashed boundary lines exist.
Entering an omnibus guideway would indeed prove catastrophic.
But, no doubt some Croweaters have tried in Adelaide.
Steve.
Old 4th March 2022, 05:47

Hi Steve!

Good to hear from you!
I hope you've been able to reschedule your eye appointment! That must be an ordeal, to say the least!

I always appreciate your perspective on the train videos that I post. I learn something new with your knowledge! I'll try to look into some of the questions you asked about tire maintenance, and so on.

Here is a NEW video from the Tokyu Oimachi Line!

Being busy at work has limited my ability to record train videos, but I managed to film this one of the Tokyu Oimachi Line in Tokyo.

The Tokyu Oimachi Line is a 12.4 kilometer railway line that runs from Oimachi Station (Tokyo) to Mizonokuchi Station in Kawasaki, Kanagawa.. There are currently 16 stations on the train line (also includes stops at Futako-shinchi & Takatsu on the Den-en-Toshi Line) and it takes about 30 minutes to travel from the track's beginning to the end of the line. The 2 rolling stock types (local services) on this line are the 5-car 9000 series EMU and 9020 series EMU. The 2 rolling stock types (express services) on this line are the 6000 and 6020 (7-car) EMU. This video showcases a cabin-view as the train travels from Oimachi Station to the final stop at Mizonokuchi Station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s0W8hQ0A88

If you haven't already, I hope you can subscribe to the channel for more train videos in the future!

ありがとう!Thank you!
Old 5th March 2022, 00:26

G'day Spydarman,
Yes, my eye surgery has been rescheduled, but it is contingent upon plague numbers in hospital here.
And, the state gov have relaxed most restrictions here now in an attempt to get people to go out and spend moolah on the economy.
Plaguer numbers here in Bathurst did reduce below 1000 per day, but due to the mask mandate being cancelled, plaguer infections are increasing again.
So, I hafta continue to hide in the hovel to avoid contact, only venturing out once per fortnite to buy groceries and pay bills.
AND, I continue to wear a mask and avoid as many unwashed masses as possible.
I definitely do not desire to catch the plague now and jeopardize my eye surgery.
So, I am not going anywhere near the local library.
Viewing your latest video clip will need to wait until I can finally get to the library.
Steve.
Old 6th March 2022, 19:42
Station Manager

Best thing I ever had done Steve. I was getting so bad that I stopped driving, (for my own sake as well as the masses). Had both eyes done and now have a check up every 6 months. I also passed my Advanced Driving Test after having my op's.
Old 7th March 2022, 08:33

Yes Syd, I am most eager for me eye surgery to occur this time, now just 8 days hence.
I need to squint to espy the computer screen for thumping text.
I do fear loosing me licence should my surgery be delayed again for any lengthy period.
My Grandparents plus Mum went blind as a consequence of glaucoma and cataracts.
SO, I definitely do NOT want to follow suit.
BUT, getting into hospital here is NOT easy during this plague.
The spectacles that I acquired last year are now useless for me.
And, I am not splurging on glasses until after me surgery as such would become useless.
If me surgery is again cancelled, then I will need to go to the optometrist.
Though, I doubt that anything will fully resolve the foggy eyesight.
I am not exiting the hovel until I need to go and get the mandated PCR test 72 hours prior surgery.
Plague numbers are increasing here again, probably due to the relaxation of mandates.
YES, we are told that we MUST live with this plague and that all of us will cop it at some stage.
BUT, that AIN'T good for those of us waiting for surgery.

Tags
japan, shinkansen, tokyo, yamanote