23:56

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Welsh Narrow Gauge

Old 9th April 2006, 13:33

Question Welsh Narrow Gauge

I'm planning to spend a week in north Wales this summer. The campsite I intend to stay at is right next to the Welsh Highland so I'll obviously visit that, but can anyone recommend any other lines near by which are worth a visit?

Old 10th April 2006, 19:59

If Welsh Highland then Ffestinog. Depends on your transport and time you have to spend on railways but try the Talyllyn out of Tywyn.
Old 21st April 2006, 21:12
Station Manager

If you can make it down to Aberystwyth, The Vale of Rheidol Railway is well worth a visit. Spectacular ride upto Devils Bridge and a 23 miles round trip!
Old 21st April 2006, 22:36

Yeah, the Talyllyn is certainly worth a visit. And there is a campsite in Towyn as well.

Enjoy your holiday!!
Old 26th July 2006, 23:07

Exclamation

Also Welsh Highland (Caernforn) [sorry Welsh memebrs], Lanberis Lake Railway, Snowdain Mountain Railway.
Old 21st August 2006, 11:20

Smile

I'm now back from my holiday. I took a friend with me, but he has no interest in railways, so I only went on one. It was the Welsh Highland (Caernarfon) and we only did the journey from Waunfawr to Dinas. I thought it was very good and I was pretty impressed with the carriages with the open sides. I knew that it was operated by the Ffestiniog but I didn't realise that the staff wore FR uniforms.
Old 25th September 2006, 00:03

The rebuiling is cracking on. The rail head, Monday 18th September, was at Hafod Ruffydd Isaf (OS570501). The ballast underlay head was outside Beddgelert (OS585482).

Northbound this sector, comprises just 1·9km long, a lift between 60m and 180m above sea level and five hairpins, will be interesting for the Garrats. Their 21ftsq grates will be quite busy.

L. E.
Old 25th September 2006, 00:23

Welsh Highland

Try the Corris for the oddest of the lot.
A round trip between Aberystwyth and Pwthelli is a good day out.

Walk the route between the Ffestiniog and the Welsh Highland in Portmadog.

L. E.
Old 25th September 2006, 22:24

I must admit to being a bit confused about all the doings in Snowdonia. When the Welsh Highland is completed, will it be possible to travel from Caernarfon right through to Blaneau?
Old 27th September 2006, 21:47

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev
I must admit to being a bit confused about all the doings in Snowdonia. When the Welsh Highland is completed, will it be possible to travel from Caernarfon right through to Blaneau?
Yes the WHR (Caernarfon) are going to operate trains from Caernarfon all the way through to Blaneau crossing the mainline with a mixed guaged junction and running down the street from Portmadog mainline station connecting to the Ffestiniog Railway on the 'Cob'. Thats the plan anyway.

Personally I dont see how it is going to be viable as I cant see many people going all the way from Caernarfon right through to Blaneau or vise vers Becuase it will cost at least £20 return and by the time youve done one round trip it will be time to go home again thus givining you no time at either end. It would be a loverly ride but would probably take you ac ouple of hours in each direction!!!

Last edited by GWR9600; 27th September 2006 at 21:49.