06:25

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

County Donegal Railway Question.

Old 12th December 2005, 23:07

County Donegal Railway Question.

Quite a few years ago (1980 in fact!) me and a mate hired a car and toured the Irish Republic. The furthest north we got was Killybegs, the terminus of a CDRJC branch from Donegal (I think). On the way there, we passed what looked to be an old embankment, and I've been kidding myself for years that I saw some old earthworks from the famous County Donegal Railway. Anyone know if there even was an embankment on the branch? I suppose I could have asked at the time, but the pull of the Guinness was stronger so we visited the first bar we came across!

Old 20th December 2006, 13:03

County Donegal

You could actaully be right it may have been, a fair bit of the railway is still there in the form of the track bed, in fact since you have probably been there a large amount of development has taken place in rstoring parts of the line. Currently the society has actually managedd to get money in the fomr of a grant and so now there is work taking place at the RPSI HQ to restore Drumboe to eventually full working pordere , however from the state she is in that could take a long time!!!! Also there is money being spent to refurbish some of the Carriages as well, i am not sure of the exact end intention but it seems they hope to restore part of the line back to full running order.
NCC Dave