20:14

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Stapleford miniature railway

Old 8th February 2009, 11:35

Stapleford miniature railway

http://www.youtube.com/user/stapleford

Above is a link to my videos which include many on the stapleford miniature railway. I am a volunteer and driver on the preserved lne near melton Mowbray leics and also webmaster
the railway's website has open details for the mid June and August BH events
http://www.fsmr.org.uk

Old 8th February 2009, 19:15

hello fsmr
say at your june event do you have a stationary engine pen, as this is my other hobby in summer, if so where do i want to be for a entry form, thanks
Old 8th February 2009, 22:19

The post regarding Stapleford brought back many happy memories from years gone by when it was open regularly to the public. In those days there was a small Safari Park near the car park and the Berkshire somehow got around what to me seemed a ridiculously small radius curve on its way from the car park to the house. That must have been in the early 80 as I do not remember us having any children with us.
My most treasured memory of the railway though was at a private running for the NVR where we even had a steam coal fired BBQ and I must say that sausages cremated on a bed of glowing Welsh Steam Coal have a flavour all of their own. It was on that occassion that I had perhaps my most memorable railway experience. We were being shown a huge pile of castings (2 sets I seem to recall) destined to become the Niagara or two if my memory is correct and were admiring these beautiful pieces of cast metal when an elderly lady and gentleman came in. For those familiar with the early steam miniature railways Henry Greenly is of course well known however all his drawings in later years were done by his daughter Elenora who married Earnest Steele. It so happend I had with me my copy of Earnest's book on H G and along with two or three others who also were clutching their copies were had our books signed by both of them. It is not surprising that the lady knew more about steam locomotives and their workings than any of us there her father being who he was. Memories never to be forgotten and I still treasure my book.
Anyway now I know that there are two dates I could visit again I will endeavour to make the trip into the heart of Pork Pie Land it only being an hour away, but do we have to apply for entrance tickets or simply turn up on the days wearing a grease top cap?
John (G)
Old 8th February 2009, 22:28

Hi
in response to attending with a stationary engine, if you download the Pdf for June off our events page of the fsmr site, it has Paul worbeys contact info on
For the August Bank holiday event, please email [email protected] or myself at [email protected]
Old 8th February 2009, 22:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
The post regarding Stapleford brought back many happy memories from years gone by when it was open regularly to the public. In those days there was a small Safari Park near the car park and the Berkshire somehow got around what to me seemed a ridiculously small radius curve on its way from the car park to the house. That must have been in the early 80 as I do not remember us having any children with us.
My most treasured memory of the railway though was at a private running for the NVR where we even had a steam coal fired BBQ and I must say that sausages cremated on a bed of glowing Welsh Steam Coal have a flavour all of their own. It was on that occassion that I had perhaps my most memorable railway experience. We were being shown a huge pile of castings (2 sets I seem to recall) destined to become the Niagara or two if my memory is correct and were admiring these beautiful pieces of cast metal when an elderly lady and gentleman came in. For those familiar with the early steam miniature railways Henry Greenly is of course well known however all his drawings in later years were done by his daughter Elenora who married Earnest Steele. It so happend I had with me my copy of Earnest's book on H G and along with two or three others who also were clutching their copies were had our books signed by both of them. It is not surprising that the lady knew more about steam locomotives and their workings than any of us there her father being who he was. Memories never to be forgotten and I still treasure my book.
Anyway now I know that there are two dates I could visit again I will endeavour to make the trip into the heart of Pork Pie Land it only being an hour away, but do we have to apply for entrance tickets or simply turn up on the days wearing a grease top cap?
John (G)

What a fascinating story, i will forward it to the members
Both public events in 12th 13th June and 30th 31st August are pay on the gate and again full details on the website
The August event is just £2 per car and both events also have camping pitches available if you want to spend a weekend

If you have an exhibit, please use the contact details on the website. This obviously also entitles you to free weekend camping as well

I attach a shot of the 1/5th NKP Berkshire 2-8-4 with our latest addition from the builder of the Niagara, a 1/4 scale oil burning Vulcan 31 class EAR metre guage 2-8-4 which went into service in October 2008 putting the steam fleet at 6 now
Also an original poster for the Lion reserve which closed before the line and hal closed to the public in 1982

The line was restored for 1992 by the Friends and has opened once or twice per year in the summer since 1995 supporting the local hospice as part of steam rallies. Mid June and August BH weekend
We do run for ourselves and other groups though throughout the year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6300347.JPG (78.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg lionsfinal4.jpg (156.8 KB, 6 views)