09:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Narrow Gauge

Hyde Pier Railway locamotives

Old 21st January 2009, 11:52

Hyde Pier Railway locamotives

Can any member help me with some information about the Hythe Pier locomotives. I would like to know what gauge they are and if there are any books or sources that provide additional information. I have looked on the web but can's find much information about them.

Regards

John

Last edited by Silchester_John; 21st January 2009 at 23:27. Reason: Got the spelling of Hythe wrong. Originally spelt as Hyde
Old 21st January 2009, 13:12

I assume you mean Hythe Pier Railway. Hyde is east of Manchester, and is even less likely to have a pier than Wigan !!

PS sorryI can't help with the actual query.
Old 21st January 2009, 15:10

The following is taken from wikipedia, and I'm sure wigan has a pier, not sure about weston-super-mare though

Quote:
Hythe Pier Railway
Probably at the time of the building of the pier, a narrow gauge railway was constructed for use with the transport of goods. The vehicles on this original railway were hand-propelled.

In 1922 the railway was reconstructed and electrified, attaining its current form. The track is laid to 2 ft (610 mm) gauge, and is electrified at 250 V DC by means of a third rail on the seaward side of the track. The line consists of a single track with no passing loops, although there are two non-electrified sidings at the landward end.

The line is operated by two four wheel electric locomotives built by Brush during World War I (works numbers 16302 & 16307[1]). As built these locomotives were battery powered, and were used at the wartime mustard gas factory at Avonmouth. The locomotives were transferred to Hythe after the war, where they were converted to collect power from a third rail and had their batteries removed. The two locomotives are currently crudely numbered No1 & No2 on their seaward sides.

The line owns four bogie passenger cars, two of which are equipped with a driving cab at their seaward ends. In normal operation, the single train in service is made up of one of the locomotives propelling three passenger cars and a four wheel flat car for baggage. The locomotive is always located at the landward end, whilst the seaward passenger car must be one of those with a driving cab. The line also possesses a four wheel oil tank car, which is used to carry fuel to the Hythe ferries.
Old 21st January 2009, 21:13

Here's some details of the Hythe railway: http://www.tripsbytrain.com/trip0103/index.html http://www.geocities.com/teammanley/...ierRailway.htm and even a short clip on Utube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWEdrNa8mBw

Regards Tony
Old 21st January 2009, 21:15

Also a thread on All Model railroading with pics: http://www.all-model-railroading.co....ead.php?t=9823

Tony
Old 21st January 2009, 23:25

Hythe Pier Railway

Thanks for the replies guys. I did of course mean Hythe Pier as you rightly guessed.

Regards

John