16:33

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Emergency brake used to stop Sleeper train in Edinburgh

Old 24th August 2019, 18:53

Furthermore, Rail is saying that "human error is thought to be the main cause of a Caledonian Sleeper train running away through Edinburgh Waverly"

No surprises there then. But they do add something interesting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail Magazine
1) Initial indications from sources suggest that when shunting at Carstairs, the red brake isolation cock had been turned off (sic, ) behind the 92, meaning that only the locomotive brake was available.

2) A source told Rail that during the design stage of the coaches, concern had been raised that the component 'went the wrong way' and could be moved by staff accidently
So that might account for how the brake pipe was closed off from the loco. However this should have been noticed if the brake tests required by the rule book (listed earlier in this thread) had been carried out.

They also mentioned..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail
Questions have also been raised regarding the running brake test, with a source questioning if the 92 did not give an accurate reading. However both CS and GBRf dismissed this.
Which is right because a personal (static) brake test only requires the driver to observe the brake gauges moving up and down, it doesn't prove the brakes are working. What really tells you what's going on is a running brake test, which looks for 'retardation' (a drop in speed). You both feel this in the seat of your pants & see it on the speedo. And if a running brake test wasn't conducted, someone is definitely in the doghouse.

We continue to watch with interest.

BW

Old 25th August 2019, 05:03

Just spending my two bobs worth.
There are two types of air brake tap.
One which is OPEN when the handle is aligned along the pipe, CLOSED when the handle is aligned across the pipe.
Here the handle is usually pointing vertically upwards when the tap is CLOSED for the train brake pipe.
The handle is horizontally across the pipe to close on the Main Reservoir and also number 3 and number 4 air hoses on a locomotive.
The second which is OPEN when the handle is aligned across the pipe, CLOSED when the handle is aligned along the pipe.
Here, thankfully, ours are the first type described.
I would find it most confusing if encountering the second type described.
I believe that the second style was adopted after some situations occurred when the vertically aligned CLOSED tap handle vibrated downwards during transit and thereby opened the air pipe to vent at the rear vehicle.
I know of another incident when a train parted in transit and the separated air hose flew up and actually closed the tap by hitting the handle and forcing it upwards into the closed position.
The train front portion travelled for a distance due to the now rear wagon tap being closed and consequently no air loss to apply the brakes.
Here we also possess the Flow Meter for indication of brake pipe air flow.
The flow meter will activate when ever air flow occurs in the train brake pipe.
And, it continues to operate until the air pressure is restored to that set for running purposes.
Making a train brake application to check for continuity when only the locomotive has the air brake functioning results in a very brief operation of the flow meter.
Recharging the brake pipe after a brake application on a train results in a longer operation of the flow meter, depending upon train length and number of wagons.
This is where modern day role diversion has muddied the water.
ALL guards were responsible for checking the brake pipe continuity test from the rear wagon air gauge.
However, today, I don't believe that the supposed Train Manager performs this task.
It is the responsibility of the two man loco crew to perform any air brake tests.
SO, with single man loco crewing, WHO now performs the test in conjunction with the driver ?
Steve.
Old 26th August 2019, 06:15

G'day,
I found another couple of two bob coins, so will continue me waffle.
I am reminded of an incident here in regard to confusion.
During the late 1980s til early 1990s, through running of Aussie National motive power occurred.
I have mentioned the smog hollow incident where the crew accidentally crossed the number 3 and 4 hoses.
This preventing the loco independent brake from functioning and stopping the light engine movement.
Subsequently, the gladhands (coupling heads) on the hoses were altered to prevent accidental connection.
Such an event had occurred across the border in Crow Eater country much earlier.
Hence them Crow Eaters had altered their number 3 hose gladhand before we had here.
This then required a special adaptor hose to permit connecting the AN number 3 to our unconverted number 3.
When the through running commenced, our crews were instructed about this situation.
Eastbound interstaters would lob into Goobang Yard (Parkes) NSW worked by the Crow Eater weasels.
Instead of our blokes whistling out of Parkes loco depot with quad glorious Aussie Alco 80 class, we would blast off with two 80s.
Run LE up to Goobang to amalgamate with the pair of Crow Eater hideous EMD earache rubbish to continue east.
The 1 in 40 grades east of Parkes requiring the oomph of four weasels.
This particular day, me old class six driver suggested that I could do the first half from Goobang to Orange.
He wanted to rest his eyelids.
So, after prepping our pair of magnificent 80 class weasels, I drove us LE up to Goobang to hook on.
I asked me mate if he was aware of the special hose adaptor for the number 3 hoses.
YEP, he responded.
So, while he went to ferret out the hose adaptor, I cut out the lead Crow Eater weasel controls and released the loco handbrake.
It was permitted to leave a train unattended providing that the lead loco possessed a 26L (or 30 CDW) brake valve.
A train brake application plus loco brakes holding the train, and handbrake applied to the locos.
Having already cut out the west cab of our 80s upon hooking on, I then went to the east cab to cut in.
Me mate joined me saying that the yard shunter had said that the wagon handbrakes were released.
The shunter would also check that the front wagon brakes operated as per "modified continuity" test.
When no alteration has been made to a train consist, only changing motive power, a modified test is permitted.
The first three wagon brakes of the train are observed during the test to ensure that the brakes are functioning.
Part of the modified continuity when changing motive power is the air leakage test.
A maximum brake pipe air leakage of 35 kpa per minute is permitted.
If exceeding 35 kpa per minute, then the train must be re-examined to discover the cause.
It is also mandatory to make a full service train brake application and release after altering the loco composition.
This ensures that the train brakes will be set for the new locomotive brake valve settings.
While, here all are set for 500 kpa (70 psi), there can be a slight variance between brake valves.
Conversely, down in Tassie the brake valves were set for 550 kpa.
And in the USA, brake valves are set for a minimum of 90 psi, and upwards of 110 psi.
Higher brake pipe pressures provides for a greater length of train to be operated.
So, after the brake pipe had settled at 500 kpa and the flow meter had ceased operation, I made an application.
Cutting out the brake valve when the brake pipe had settled to perform the leakage test for one minute.
The leakage was within tolerance, so I then made the full service application and cut back in the brake valve.
After the brake pipe had settled in full service, I then released the train brakes.
The shunter radioed that the front three wagon brakes were functioning ok.
After checking the dangerous goods and train load paperwork, I advised that we were ready to depart.
Downhill from Goobang to Parkes, I released the loco brakes and took a notch to roll us out of Goobang.
With quad locos, the release of loco brakes can take a little while on the trailing units.
With the train weight shoving us, I was watching the signals.
I then noticed that the engine brake blue light on the control stand was still glowing.
So, I depressed the independent handle to perform a Quick Release.
This works via the number 4 pipe charging it with air to work the loco control valve quick release portion.
The blue light continued to glow.
So, as train speed had increased, I made a train brake application and again depressed the independent.
HMMM, the blue light still shone bright.
The independent gauge brake cylinder pressure needle was pointing to ZERO on the control stand, but something was wrong.
I asked me driver if he had connected the number 3 hoses ok with the adaptor.
YES, he responded.
"WELL, I can't get rid of the blue light", I responded.
"DID you OPEN the number 3 and 4 taps on them AN things", I begged ?
"ER UM, NO, I couldn't find them, so presumed it was automatic", he quipped.
E GADS.
Them stupid Crow Eater weasels have the number 3 and 4 taps hidden behind the pilot skirt.
He had naturally found the brake pipe and main reservoir taps, but not discovered the hidden number 3 and 4.
Having stopped the train, I hoofed back to reach behind the pilot and open them taps.
Returning to the cab, me mate quipped, "Well, you learn something new every day".
Releasing the train brakes and loco brakes, we again began to roll, this time with NO blue light glowing.
This highlights just how familiarization is CRUCIAL for all operation.
Steve.
Old 26th August 2019, 21:32

Great story Steve. I remember a few years ago, our safety section posted a little monologue about how they'd noticed that many drivers had mentioned in their post-accident reports that they'd felt that something hadn't seemed quite right at the time, but they'd pushed on ahead anyhow. The in-house TrickCyclist had opined that a person's subconsciousness can notice changes in patterns that our spatial awareness hasn't.

We were advised to slow down or even stop if we weren't happy about something, and try to find out what it was that was bothering us.

(Needless to say that when the franchise changed, the new owners were horrified to think that we were being advised to slow down 'on a whim'. We never saw the physciatrist again after that, but it is a technique I used to teach when instructing newbies.)

I'm sure most of have had an event where we felt something wasn't right. I remember a train being left with the brake released in a yard once when a driver stepped down a bit smartish, and I just wasn't sure whether I'd heard that little squeaky noise that the disc brake mechanisms make when they tighten up.

Cheers, BW.
Old 27th August 2019, 06:48

G'day BW,
Crikey, I would definitely fail a shrink test.
That ink blot test style thing etc.
Awareness and instinct are things that can definitely be improved with experience.
But, such is probably an innate sense to start with.
The old blokes reckoned that if you experienced a lot of dramas and problems when in training such would hold you in good stead for the future when you were at the helm.
I also think that some blokes were just jinxed.
One of my work nicknames was the Jinx.
But, the things that I broke were things that had been modified unsuccessfully.
There was a big drama at Waterfall on the Illawarra line south of smog hollow in 1993.
Two eight car emu sets could be stabled in each yard road.
The yard is in a dip rising upwards at each end of the roads.
The first set into a road would be left just in clear with NO brakes applied.
It could not roll out.
And saved that crew from needing to hoof from the far end of the yard.
The auto knuckle couplers would be left locked shut.
The second set in would then shove the first set up the hill, but not couple up to it.
Brakes being applied to that second set.
The next dawn, the first crew would prep and whistle out with one of the front sets.
The set behind simply rolling down into the bowl following the front set.
The next crew on duty would claim that set saving walking distance.
When I discovered this facet, I did shudder.
Well, it hit the fan and everywhere else when the second crew REVERSED out of the yard.
This also to save changing ends time.
The first train was still parked on the station platform.
The second crew did not have the road to exit the yard.
SLAM, smash, snot, crash BOOM.
Trains need to power up hill out of the yard and onto the main line.
But, going through the jack points, the errant train slewed into the other one parked on the platform.
WHAT a MESS.
The impact brought down the concrete pedestrian footbridge.
The tail gunner of the second train, WHO was supposed to BELL BACK the driver was not in his caboose.
Awareness and instinct are valuable insights.
But, some blokes will still take SHORT CUTS to achieve things where possible.
It was most fortunate that NOBODY was injured or worse.
Very few cattle around at that time of morning.
The mess was still evident the following day when I worked through there.
Trackwork in effect to rectify the mess for some time.
Ah the good ole days.
Steve.
Old 19th June 2020, 06:01

G'day,
Just been rummaging around in yer Pommy rail prang report mob and found the incident report into this event.
https://assets.publishing.service.go..._Edinburgh.pdf
I have snavelled it and will perue it in detail when I get home from the local library.
Steve.
Old 19th June 2020, 12:08

I read the report in its entirety.

It shows how difficult it must be to make a rule book cover every possible eventuality.
Old 19th June 2020, 14:44

It's that thing where one day all the random elements line up in the same direction...

1) The running brake test was always performed with the Rheo brake operative. Seems like a dumb practice since it masks any shortcomings of the friction brake.
2) The Train Manager went walkabouts but left his wonky-tonky behind. Stuff happens, but he could have saved the day by dumping the brake pipe as soon as the driver discovered the problem
3) The pantograph dropped, shutting off the rheo brake

We all have rough days, but this certainly counts as a Bad Day at the office.
Old 21st June 2020, 07:05

Our brake pipe continuity tests performed after any shunt and or loco exchange are fairly stringent.
But, people in a hurry will sometimes overlook facets.
YES, the old timer mandated "tail pull" by the guard would have quickly discovered this problem.
I do think that the 61 pin electric communication connector seems a tad awkward.
We have the Scharfenberg coupling system here on modern emu and dmu trains.
All of the electric connections being in the top part of the coupler, not a separate socket.
And, the adapter is required to permit coupling with weasels for emergency working.
But, crews can be confronted with an awkward situation.
One such was when our Silver Streak failed on the Big Hill (1 in 33) and a following train was arranged to shove it.
The lead loco on the freighter being an 82 class, having a top lift knuckle uncoupler.
The linkage from that fouling the diaphragm plate on the rear Silver Streak car.
That preventing the loco for being able to lock shut the auto knuckle jaw.
The assisting train did break away a couple of times causing the brake pipe air to dump stopping both trains.
Naturally, in emergency situations, people will attempt to resolve things as quickly as possible.
Management were going to issue DCMs to the freighter crew.
Stating that they should have got the tools and removed that front auto knuckle coupler chain link from the lift bar.
Until this event, nobody had known that this would be the situation when attempting to couple an 82 class thing to the Silver Streak cars.
We in the union stepped in and told management that not a single train would percolate in the state the following day if that crew were given the DCM.
A GENL (general order) was quickly issued to instruct how to couple up an 82 class to the Silver Streak should this ever occur again.
Steve.