10:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > On-track Machinery

Crane Crew Coach

Old 11th February 2011, 05:37

Crane Crew Coach

Hi all! I'm starting to build a model railway, I'm retired now and like Mr Waterman I've decided to build something that was my first love before women got in the way of more serious things like railways many years ago.

I'm including a breakdown crane (Hornby) which I intend to respray in BR black. My question is this: What type of crew coach would have been used along with this in the late 1950''s to early 1960's? I'm thinking along the lines of BR Maroon MK1? .......GUV? BG? or something else? Can anyone help?

Old 11th February 2011, 12:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
Hi all! I'm starting to build a model railway, I'm retired now and like Mr Waterman I've decided to build something that was my first love before women got in the way of more serious things like railways many years ago.

I'm including a breakdown crane (Hornby) which I intend to respray in BR black. My question is this: What type of crew coach would have been used along with this in the late 1950''s to early 1960's? I'm thinking along the lines of BR Maroon MK1? .......GUV? BG? or something else? Can anyone help?

Hi Resolution (can't call you your name don't know it)
Breakdown trains were distinctive to each MPD they came from so you either need to be spot on or freestyle it

First make sure you get the date right as they started painting cranes red around 62ish (not certain of precise date) and it will depend on which region you are modelling as to what coach you need so if it's LNER sorry Eastern then you will need a Gresley coach resprayed LMS/Midland then you will need an ex LMS and so on

I've cheated slightly as I'm not prepared to pay out £38 for a new coach to mangle it I've used an old Midland 4 wheel coach as a stand in (until Ebay gives me on at the right price)

Also you need to check what Tool van you need as the 12T is not always the van of choice some used CCT's and others full brakes with roll doors added

IF you can get to Rowsley on Peak Rail they have a couple of Black Engineers Vans (ex LHCS) you could copy If you can't get then I think I have some pictures I can send you -- just PM your email address and they can be in the ether for you

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 11th February 2011, 13:33
Station Manager

As Gray said, breakdown trains were often the last resting place for old coaches. You could use one of the old Hornby Clerestory Coaches. Your can often find them in the odds and ends boxes at Exhibitions.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 11th February 2011, 17:49

You might find a bit more info here.
http://bdca.org.uk/index.html
Our Breakdown crane at Pickering uses a Gresley 1928 Brake compo, built for the Flying Scotsman service, as a crew vehicle although it has not been out of its shed for a few years now.

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 11th February 2011, 18:48

At HM in the 80's we performed on a mirade of ballast turns each Saturday/Sunday.
Quite a lot of the Track lifters, tampers and other kit were stored at Leeman Road, York.
As an idea, a track lifter would be in the train, with an old coach/ other vehicle adapted for use of the TL crew.
Thes vehicles were made up of time expired stuff.
The one I recall was from York, working at Marsden one Sunday.
This vehicle had been a varnished Gresley coach from the mid 1935 era.
Inside it had a brake van stove, a bed and a comfy sofa and cooking facilities. The lighting was in the shape of Tilley Lamps.
I always asked the PW lads if it was ok to have my snap away from the engine while on site.
One feature common to all these coaches was a large supply of girly magazines to keep you occupied having a browse.
The coaches and track machines were alway behind the locomotive when running on the main line, complete with a BR Form 29973.
Old 13th February 2011, 09:14

Thanks all for your replies, most useful. I guess I have a bit of freeway then, I'm thinking late 50's to 1960 so should still be a black crane then, that's how I remember them anyway. I'll find some sort of old half brake or full brake I think in Maroon. The crane is dirty yellow at the moment and will need respraying black and fitted out with BR crests etc. After which both will need an application of genuine BR "dirty black" all over. Mmm! Not so sure what I can do about the girlie mags though......
Old 13th February 2011, 10:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolution View Post
Thanks all for your replies, most useful. I guess I have a bit of freeway then, I'm thinking late 50's to 1960 so should still be a black crane then, that's how I remember them anyway. I'll find some sort of old half brake or full brake I think in Maroon. The crane is dirty yellow at the moment and will need respraying black and fitted out with BR crests etc. After which both will need an application of genuine BR "dirty black" all over. Mmm! Not so sure what I can do about the girlie mags though......
I think you'll find that most breakdown train cranes were red, not black, until painted yellow later.
Hmmmm.... 00 scale girly mags... that IS a poser.
Old 13th February 2011, 18:15

My breakdown train consists of in order

20T fitted Brake van
Crane and runners Jib running backwards
crane match truck
tool van
Crew coach
two match trucks
going to put a tank in for water when I get round to repainting one
20T fitted Brake van

the four wheel coach is a stop gap, the crane has yet to be dirtied up,

But still re-wiring the board since one of grandkids grabbed a handful of wires and killed 75% of the layout so it gave me chance to tidy the wiring and make it a lot more child proof (got too many grandkids not to)

photo's are from the house insurance folder --- have you all checked what it would cost to replace your stock ??? I did and

Old 14th February 2011, 14:36

Only trouble its too clean.
This is more prototypical and note the tool boxes as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1565-2.jpg (107.3 KB, 12 views)

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/
Old 14th February 2011, 17:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploughman View Post
Only trouble its too clean.
This is more prototypical and note the tool boxes as well.

Is that at Wandsworth ????
got a photo of it all tucked up somewhere