11:38

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Advice needed please

Old 1st December 2010, 11:11

Advice needed please

regarding a Steam Railway experience.

My husband is very interested in steam engines and I would like to buy him a day on a steam train as a Christmas present. I have done some research on the internet but I'm not really sure what to look for and prices differ.

We live in Oxfordshire but I would be happy to combine this trip with a few days away so don't really mind whereabout in the country this might be. If anyone can recommend a really enjoyable and informative day with hands on experience I would be eternally grateful.

Thank you in advance.

Kate

Last edited by Kate the Mate; 1st December 2010 at 11:14.
Old 1st December 2010, 14:46

I can thoroughly recommend a Fire & Drive course at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway.
http://www.gwsr.com/enthusiasts/firi...g-courses.aspx
Bookings are now being taken for experience days from 1st April.
You can combine the visit to Toddington with a break in the lovely Cotswolds – some excellent hotels in Stow on the Wold.
Old 1st December 2010, 15:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilersuit View Post
I can thoroughly recommend a Fire & Drive course at the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Railway.
http://www.gwsr.com/enthusiasts/firi...g-courses.aspx
Bookings are now being taken for experience days from 1st April.
You can combine the visit to Toddington with a break in the lovely Cotswolds – some excellent hotels in Stow on the Wold.
A train ride behind a steam loco would be nice, but this suggestion would be superb !

Last time I was down that way we stayed at Broadway (caravan site) and that is a lovely village.
Old 1st December 2010, 17:05

Thank you pre65 and boilersuit. We have been to Toddington many times, it's not too far from us, and I'm sure we went to an anniversary day there this year. He wants to have a go at driving the train so that is what I'm looking for, an informative and fun day. Of those I looked at online, GWR was most expensive and I wondered if there were any that were as good but perhaps not quite so expensive, otherwise he may have to wait until next year! I'll keep popping back when he's not around to see if you have any other ideas.

Thank you.

Kate
Old 1st December 2010, 17:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate the Mate View Post
Thank you pre65 and boilersuit. We have been to Toddington many times, it's not too far from us, and I'm sure we went to an anniversary day there this year. He wants to have a go at driving the train so that is what I'm looking for, an informative and fun day. Of those I looked at online, GWR was most expensive and I wondered if there were any that were as good but perhaps not quite so expensive, otherwise he may have to wait until next year! I'll keep popping back when he's not around to see if you have any other ideas.

Thank you.

Kate
Swanage Railway run these type of courses if you fancy something by the sea.
Old 1st December 2010, 18:29

It may be too far for you to travel but the Kent & East Sussex Railway do them: http://www.kesr.org.uk/railway-experiences.html
Old 1st December 2010, 19:58
Station Manager

Hello Kate the Mate and welcome to the Railway Forum.
Both the West Somerset and the Seven Valley Railway do driver experience days. The West Somerset Railway is the longest preserved railway in the country and there is no shortage of accommodation in Minehead, from B&B to hotels.
Old 1st December 2010, 20:42
Station Manager

Welcome to the Forum Kate. I think you have got a good selection to choose from there.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:22

Didcot is another option, although there's very little running line of course. Maybe the Mid Hants at Ropley, Hampshire would be somewhere you could get to.

Good Luck!
Tony
Old 1st December 2010, 22:53

Kate come to Chinnor we will give you and your husband a grand day out,the line is an interesting one and has reasonable gradients to provide a good driving challenge.Go onto our website and you will see full details of all our activities and services. Chris