11:58

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

class 60s

Old 13th September 2010, 22:11

Cheers for that reply !! Very Informative !
Thanks
Kris

Old 30th September 2010, 21:10

I have some very good news for diesel fans. Tonight I logged off for a bit and went down to the pub in hale (The Railway, which has a picture of a Princess Royal class on the sign) which I rarely do now nowadays. I always carry a local timetable for services at the station, which is 30yrds away. Now at about 20:05 the barriers began to lower, so looking at the timetable I saw that now passenger train was scheduled, so instead of standing outside the pub and watching as normal I downed the half I was drinking and went to the station.

I thought that it could be a diverted train, a ICI mineral Freight, or if I'm lucky a steam movement. As it turned out the freight was correct, and to my surprise a very grubby 60039 charged through at full pelt towards Manchester. I savoured the moment as best I could despite the train's high speed.

As the flashing light rounded thew corner I did not leave streaight away, but closed my eyes and listened to the rails singing, until it was too faint to hear.

Seems a bit much perhaps, but I may have just witnessed hsitory, at least personally, as I may not see another working now. I think that their withdrawal from service is a huge mistake, but nothing I can do to stop DBS ruining our railway.
I hope and pray one is preserved, and I have never said that about a diesel before.

The class 60: surely the best diesel locomotive to be produced by this country to date.
Old 30th September 2010, 22:03

According to Railway Herald one has just been refurbished and repainted in Tata colours for a new contract.

Last edited by pre65; 1st October 2010 at 09:50.
Old 1st October 2010, 08:33

I've seen two 60's this week in Manchester at the Aggregate place near Salford Crescent. I have to admit it's made my week.

It's nice to see any British built loco on the mainline, specially Brush ones.
Old 1st October 2010, 09:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
I have some very good news for diesel fans. Tonight I logged off for a bit and went down to the pub in hale (The Railway, which has a picture of a Princess Royal class on the sign) which I rarely do now nowadays. I always carry a local timetable for services at the station, which is 30yrds away. Now at about 20:05 the barriers began to lower, so looking at the timetable I saw that now passenger train was scheduled, so instead of standing outside the pub and watching as normal I downed the half I was drinking and went to the station.

I thought that it could be a diverted train, a ICI mineral Freight, or if I'm lucky a steam movement. As it turned out the freight was correct, and to my surprise a very grubby 60039 charged through at full pelt towards Manchester. I savoured the moment as best I could despite the train's high speed.

As the flashing light rounded thew corner I did not leave streaight away, but closed my eyes and listened to the rails singing, until it was too faint to hear.

Seems a bit much perhaps, but I may have just witnessed hsitory, at least personally, as I may not see another working now. I think that their withdrawal from service is a huge mistake, but nothing I can do to stop DBS ruining our railway.
I hope and pray one is preserved, and I have never said that about a diesel before.

The class 60: surely the best diesel locomotive to be produced by this country to date.
As far as I know about 15 class 60's are going to be re-furbished,60099 has already had attention and has been repainted in the new "TaTa" colours (Silver with Blue Logo) also 60015 is reported as undergoing a re-furb.It appears that certain trains require the higher power tractive effort that a 60 has but not a 66.So you may still see members of this class of loco about.
Old 1st October 2010, 17:34

This has made me ever so happy I must say.
Ideally all 100 members of the class would be kept, but that remains to be seen.
Old 1st October 2010, 23:46

Steam for Ever !! Such a touching posting. So Glad you enjoyed seeing that Loco
Kris
Old 2nd October 2010, 09:25

20 for sale according to 'Rail Express' magazine, check out the cover! Including 60081 in GWR livery.
Old 2nd October 2010, 21:56

I hope some one buys one.
Kris
Old 11th November 2010, 01:22

You get the odd DBS Tug through Burton Joyce near me. I have one on you-tube that I filmed. I understand they run between Lindsey Refinery & Kingsbury