20:05

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Last Days of "HS 4000, KESTREL".

Old 29th December 2009, 22:50

The APT worked Euston-Glasgow relief services three times per week from 1983-1985.

Old 29th December 2009, 22:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
In the gallery "APT Cutting 21.03.1987", shows some of the last APT coaches being dismantled.

(Sorry, I'm lousy at cut and past or would have put up a link)

Cheers, 62440.
This one?
http://www.railwayforum.net/gallery/...imageuser=2802

Last edited by swisstrains; 29th December 2009 at 23:00.
Old 29th December 2009, 22:56

Here is more evidence that the high speed railways dont work well in extremely cold temps. Perhaps they should be looking to aero technology which copes very well at 40K feet at -40 deg C. Even desending to surface humidity doesnt cause them any problems!
Old 29th December 2009, 23:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
Here is more evidence that the high speed railways dont work well in extremely cold temps. Perhaps they should be looking to aero technology which copes very well at 40K feet at -40 deg C. Even desending to surface humidity doesnt cause them any problems!
Anything that flies HAS to be designed to cope with very specific climatic conditions and nothing can be left to chance.

Even modern motor cars seem to be immune from the climatic vagaries that we have and don't suddenly break down when it gets cold/wet/hot/damp/freezing/dusty etc etc.
Old 30th December 2009, 00:32

John/Swisstrains: Got it in one sir!

Regards, 62440.
Old 30th December 2009, 14:30
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Anything that flies HAS to be designed to cope with very specific climatic conditions and nothing can be left to chance.

Even modern motor cars seem to be immune from the climatic vagaries that we have and don't suddenly break down when it gets cold/wet/hot/damp/freezing/dusty etc etc.

I would agree with your comment re flying however I think you are being unfair to compare 70's design with modern cars. I recall having considerable problems with cars in winter conditions at that time. We have moved forward in winterising quite considerably since then.

The modern plane has been developed as the result of experience, sadly fatal in a number of cases.

History has proved that the basic design of the APT was not flawed which is why other manufacturers were happy to take it on, develop it and then sell it back to us!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 30th December 2009, 19:24

The same happened with Prof. Eric Laithwaite's Maglev train which ran across the Fens when I were a lad. I saw the track once and the actual train is plinthed at Peterboro Railway World. But everyone else with money to spend thinks its the future of railways. You dont have to worry about brakes freezing thats for sure!
Old 18th January 2010, 18:54

Hs4000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62440 View Post
It had indeed, 5 foot gauge over there I believe? As it had an axleload of over 22 tons it would hardly have suited most preserved lines. Shame it went. I saw it being built, out on test, on display at the 1968 open day at Derby Loco Works and on shed at Finsbury Park. A very impressive bit of kit!

Regards, 62440.

I was reading some BR documents on saturday and the weight issue was one amongst several why BR didnt like it. Apprently the size of the Sulzer engine made the engine room a nightmare to work in as it was so cramped. Next time I go to Kew I'll dig out the file again and list out the reasons in more detail if people are interested?

Regards

Simon
Old 18th January 2010, 19:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by class47 View Post
Apprently the size of the Sulzer engine made the engine room a nightmare to work in as it was so cramped.

Regards

Simon
All engine rooms are cramped the worst one from what i remember is the class 50.

ccmmick.

Old 18th January 2010, 19:52

I'm glad to see some of the contributors feel cars are immune to climatic problems. So all the cars sliding on Black Ice was deliberate was it? The lorries inability to climb the smallest snowy incline even on a motorway was very attractive, were the drivers looking for a lock in the nearest hostelry. No form of transport is without problems, the difference is that they show up in different ways. Trains as opposed to motor vehicles are not allowed to proceed when the circumstances are dangerous. That is reflected in the statistics. When was the last public enquiry after a motor accident!