15:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Diesel brake tenders.

Old 9th January 2010, 20:32

Brake Tenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Some replies make me smile
BRILLIANT.

Old 9th January 2010, 21:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam for ever View Post
Looks good that.
I might have a go.

ccmmick I thought they were in front of the locos.
I have only ever seen pics of them there.
But I suppose if there was more than one then it would be compulsary to have them behind the loco for visability purposes.
We need some drivers here. Anyone who has driven a class 40 (the main reason they were invented) will have the most experience.
I have never heard of tenders being worked in front of the loco only behind upto three in total.
It wasnt for the loco more for the ballast trains years ago heavy trains and not enough brake force.
As for class 40s i never worked on them.

ccmmick.

Old 9th January 2010, 21:14

I saw it in a past issue of I think British railways illustrated of a 1969 view of a hymek with one in front and the same with a brush type 4
The issue was focused on the topic in hand.
Old 9th January 2010, 21:18

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmmick View Post
I have never heard of tenders being worked in front of the loco only behind upto three in total. It wasnt for the loco more for the ballast trains years ago heavy trains and not enough brake force.
As for class 40s i never worked on them. ccmmick.
I have to say, if you look at the 'Just Like The Real Thing' link, the first photo on there DOES actually appear to be a class 37 with a brake tender IN FRONT; the end with the b/t carries a headcode, and wagons are at the other end. Of course, it COULD be shunting, but.....?
Old 9th January 2010, 21:29

We used to see these through Loughborough usually on unfitted coal trains hauled by whatever Toton had handy, Peaks (Class 44 or 45), 47's, or double headed 25's or 20's. They were usually marshalled behind the locos going south, but in front coming back North with the empties. I remember seeing them in green with yellow ends, very dirty of course, never saw a clean one. I also have a vague memory of seeing one with a 4 character headcode panel.
That Just like the real thing model looks the part, only trouble is it's O gauge and I'm working in OO.

Regards, 62440.

Last edited by 62440; 9th January 2010 at 21:33.
Old 9th January 2010, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Rowland View Post
I have to say, if you look at the 'Just Like The Real Thing' link, the first photo on there DOES actually appear to be a class 37 with a brake tender IN FRONT; the end with the b/t carries a headcode, and wagons are at the other end. Of course, it COULD be shunting, but.....?
Yes i can see that now Dave i myself have never worked one in front of the loco.

ccmmick.

Old 5th September 2013, 10:05

I see the GCR are re-creating one, project X.

Project ‘X’ – the Diesel Brake Tender Project

"Members of Railway Vehicle Preservations TPO crew are in the process of constructing an item of rolling stock that failed to enter preservation, despite the last vehicles having been withdrawn from traffic in the early 1980s, namely a Diesel Brake Tender. RVP member Phil Stanbridge initially came up with the idea while some vehicles at the Great Central Railway were about to be scrapped after having been purchased for spare parts. One of the vehicles was set aside for the project, while a feasibility study and then design work was undertaken. The project became known as “Project X” while this work was being undertaken, as the team wanted to keep it quiet until all hurdles had been overcome. Once proven that it was feasible work started on the vehicle, which will be numbered B964122, the next number following on from the originals. As all the original vehicles came from LMS or LNER descendents and this conversion is from a BR Mark 1 a new diagram number is being created to accommodate the design, this being 1/559, which would have been the next number in the B.R. wagon diagram series."
Old 5th September 2013, 16:30

The first time I saw the brake tenders was on the East Coast line north of York. They were always in front of the D67xx's (later Class 37) on unfitted freight. By 1963 it was rare to see a D67xx without a brake tender and they were always in front of the engine.
Old 5th September 2013, 19:29

The only time I ever saw a brake tender was at Barry Scrapyard in the mid 70s

As for concrete cracking.
Yes it does, one of our brakevans on the NYMR had its flooring all warped, we removed it and found that the concrete ballast is actually filled with old brake blocks and other scrap, the rust on this scrap had forced the concrete to crack then with water ingress and more rust the floor was distorted.

http://www.yorkareagroup.co.uk/

Last edited by Ploughman; 5th September 2013 at 19:59.
Old 5th September 2013, 19:51

Was there a date when unfitted freight finished ?