13:24

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Deltics...Renumbered?

Old 8th December 2009, 01:31

Deltics...Renumbered?

I was told today of a rumour that a deltic had been seen in 1980/81 after it had been scrapped. Of course, the only way that that could have happened is if one of the survivors was given the identity of one of those already scrapped. I was given no other details at all.

Has anyone else heard of this?

Old 8th December 2009, 11:39

If this is the story I think it is, the loco was 55020 Nimbus. It's well known as a railway ghost story. I've heard two versions of this, one where it was seen hauling a train along the East Coast, and another where it was spotted outside Crewe Station.
Old 8th December 2009, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi View Post
If this is the story I think it is, the loco was 55020 Nimbus. It's well known as a railway ghost story. I've heard two versions of this, one where it was seen hauling a train along the East Coast, and another where it was spotted outside Crewe Station.
It's in the "Strategic reserve" to replace the steam locos that were cut up !
Old 8th December 2009, 17:48

55020 'Nimbus'? It got preserved in 1981. I saw it at Old Oak Common open day in 1996. Not sure who owns it or where it is currently based...but it definitely survived.

I'll google it and tell you where it lives.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rassy View Post
55020 'Nimbus'? It got preserved in 1981. I saw it at Old Oak Common open day in 1996. Not sure who owns it or where it is currently based...but it definitely survived.

I'll google it and tell you where it lives.
Wikipedia would suggest otherwise http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_55
Old 8th December 2009, 18:04

55020/D9020 Nimbus was withdrawn on 5th January 1980, and scrapped. Sorry to disappoint you.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:13

Nimbus definitely exists I saw it with my own eyes. I thought that was common knowledge?

I might be wrong but I think it's stored at MoD Ashchurch in an aircraft hanger, but i'm still researching it.

p.s.
Everybody knows Wikipedia is a complete joke. No offense but you should stop being so lazy and learn how to conduct a proper research.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:26

Quote:
Nimbus definitely exists I saw it with my own eyes. I thought that was common knowledge?
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Nimbus was cut up. Below is a paragrpah that I copied from the Deltic Preservation Societys website.

The first two Deltics to be withdrawn were 55001 'St Paddy' and 55020 'Nimbus' on January 5th 1980, although neither of these locos had worked since March 1978. Both were cut up by the end of the month. The next casualty was 55003 'Meld' which was withdrawn on 30th December 1980 at York followed by 55005 and 55006 in February 1981 at York. 55012 ‘Crepello’ was next being withdrawn at FP on May 18th followed by 55018 ‘Ballymoss at York on October 18th.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavorossi View Post
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but Nimbus was cut up.
How do you know it was cut up? Were you there? Did you watch them do it with your own eyes?

Sorry to disappoint YOU but I saw it and it survives to this day. Back in 1981 before Wikipedia, internet forums, websites, mobile phones AND preservation societies, it's not inconceivable that a loco earmarked for scrapping slipped through the net and got purchased by a rich enthusiast, without too many people knowing about it.

I'm really surprised nobody on this forum is backing me up!

I'm gonna prove this thing exists and then i'll hunt you all down so you can buy me a beer.
Old 8th December 2009, 18:56

Quote:
How do you know it was cut up? Were you there? Did you watch them do it with your own eyes?

Sorry to disappoint YOU but I saw it and it survives to this day. Back in 1981 before Wikipedia, internet forums, websites, mobile phones AND preservation societies, it's not inconceivable that a loco earmarked for scrapping slipped through the net and got purchased by a rich enthusiast, without too many people knowing about it.

I'm really surprised nobody on this forum is backing me up!

I'm gonna prove this thing exists and then i'll hunt you all down so you can buy me a beer.
I would love you to be right !