21:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > On-track Machinery

New Machine

Old 5th July 2006, 12:33

New Machine

The East Lancs Railway is trialing a new device for Network Rail, first one in the country apparently. It's name at present escapes me (hence the vague name of the thread), and I don't have the article (Civil Maintainence Notices, East Lancs Railway Magazine) to hand as I am using a computer at the local library. What I can say is that it is about the length of a carriage, a bright blue colour and that I shall post a picture of it as soon as I can.

Old 19th July 2006, 11:19

The new machine is called a Switches and Crossing Stone Blower. I knew I'd find the article again eventually!
Old 30th July 2006, 22:50

so wot does it do clear balllast from the pointwork? lol because thats what the name suggests
Old 31st July 2006, 11:46

Probably, but I'm not quite sure. The ELR magazine is only out three times a year and the information is usually written well before I actually get it. All they said is that it would be arriving in June and that they would have more information on it in the next issue, which should be about October.
Old 31st July 2006, 12:03

ok then, give us an update when the info is released
Old 31st July 2006, 20:11
Station Manager

I have also read that another bit of equipment about to arrive this year is a Switch & Crossing grinding train that will grind a turnout to within a few microns in 10 to 15 minutes. I think they said that there were 5 are on order.
Syd
Old 31st July 2006, 20:38
Station Manager

For anyone wanting info on Switches and Crossing Stone Blower and Switches and Crossing Turnout Grinding trains, go to :-
http://www.raeng.org.uk/news/publica...Lecture_02.pdf

The site has very good info on the above new units and also a lot of other infomation on our tracks.
Syd
Old 3rd August 2008, 10:46

S&C Stoneblower

Or to those lucky enough to work in the right department @ that small firm currently known as Network Rail, the machines are known as the Multi-Purpose Stoneblower,there are now two in the country No`s 80302 & 80303. 303 is the newest and is only recording S&C at this time. Like the plainliners the machines lift the track to a designed lift,tubes then drop and slide down the side of sleeper being treated and with high pressure air blow 16 to 20mm chippings under the sleeper. Normally 2 sleepers are treated at same time then moves to the next 2 and so on I hope my explanation helps if anyone wants more info let me know be glad to help out. Also just for everyones info 303 is currently on trials in South Wales, 302 has been comissioned and is working in the South West but not blowing S&C as the crew arn`t trained yet so it`s working plainline only.

Last edited by lnwr20; 3rd August 2008 at 23:35.
Old 4th August 2008, 15:44

Thanks for the description lnwr20. With all that air being blown into and under the existing ballast do you get a cloud of dust and other unmentionables in the balast being blasted up into the air?
Old 4th August 2008, 16:49

Re-dust & unmensionables.

Depends on weather the stones been washed or not. The stone`s suposed to be washed 3 times before delivery but if left for any length of time lots of dust. As for the other stuff the tubes only blow towards each other so no to that sorry, the tubes are only about 8 to12 inches apart so as to blow the stone in to a 12 inch space each side of the rail known as the packing area. For pics go to gallery DR80302 working a switch. Now a poser where were pics taken.Heres a clue about 8 miles from where i live any guesses????????????.Phill.

Last edited by lnwr20; 4th August 2008 at 20:15.