12:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Favourite Station

Old 2nd September 2008, 13:36
SouthernSteam

Favourite Station

Do any of you chaps have a favourite station, one where you'd quite happily spend a whole day or two?

Mine is Kingscote on the Bluebell, a superb country Southern station and I like its quietness. It can be better when it ceases it's end-of-line status, which I am looking forward to. The buildings are wonderful in their interesting and sculpted architecture, the greenery and general ambience are superb and the still working adjacent timber yard give an air of quiet purpose to the loading dock are, even if they are no longer in commercial use.

Second is Isfield on the Lavender line for it hotch-potch-ness, if that's a word!

Last edited by SouthernSteam; 16th September 2008 at 14:29.
Old 2nd September 2008, 15:15

Bury Bolton Street for me. Trains pottering about during the day, then a real ale bar on the platform for the night. What more could you want?
Old 3rd September 2008, 20:54

I like Horstead Keynes, Loughborough, and Medstead & Four Marks, but they all have to be visited out of peak times to avoid the crowds and achieve the full spooky time-warp feeling.
Old 3rd September 2008, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSteam View Post
Do any of you chaps have a favourite station, one where you'd quite happily spend a whole day or two?
I am quite partial to Kandersteg in the Bernese Oberland. Beautiful mountain scenery and great food and drink in the station buffet. The melodic jingle of cowbells ensure that even between trains there's never a quiet moment.
Old 4th September 2008, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
I like Horstead Keynes, Loughborough, and Medstead & Four Marks, but they all have to be visited out of peak times to avoid the crowds and achieve the full spooky time-warp feeling.
The bridge at Loughborough seems to be very popular with photographers, since its so low, though I wish they would extend the platforms. Ive always wondered whats the deal with the deserted platforms that appear after the 'little tunnel' on the Southern side of the station.
Old 4th September 2008, 12:01

Talking

My favourite stations would be the following Wassen(on the Gotthard), Spiez or Olten.
All give plenty of variety and the last two have restaurants and good beer.

In England I would probably go for Appleby (Friendly people) or Hellifield (Good Bacon or Sausage butties):

Last edited by davat; 4th September 2008 at 12:02. Reason: Spelling
Old 4th September 2008, 19:23

Swinton Manchester.

It has no redeaming features. It generally smells of urine and is served by two trains an hour - pacers or sprinters. It has a booking office that is open until early afternoon. It's had two major upgrades since opening, the first was an electric lightbulb, the seccond was a chip-and-pin reader that generally dislikes my Visa. The GMPTE have put a bus stop sign outside and have then had the gall to label it an "interchange".

I love it though, purely cause it was the first railway station I ever stood foot on. It's my roots. So yeah.

Old 5th September 2008, 17:49

Ooh, so far it would have to be a toss up between York and Shrewsbury!
Old 6th September 2008, 21:45

Grosmont. Not actually on the station you understand, but sat outside that pub next to the level crossing. A pint of guinness and plenty of locomotive movement in and out of the station. A great way to spend a few hours.
Old 8th September 2008, 19:19

Ropley on the Mid Hants and Horsted Keynes on the Bluebell are great favourites for me.