15:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Visiting the Bluebell Railway

Old 25th August 2008, 20:16

Visiting the Bluebell Railway

I`ve got my visa to pass south of the M4. hidden my flat cap and got the whippet stabled for a couple of days !!

Next week i`m heading way down south to Worthing for my brothers wedding and hopefully will be visiting the Bluebell railway on the saturday which isnt too far away;

Im after suggestions as to best plan my visit - whats running and generally make the best of the day as it will no doubt be along time till I can make the journey again

Any ideas?

John

Old 25th August 2008, 20:35
SouthernSteam

I hope you're inoculated, we Southerner's may bite y'know!!

Good choice of line to visit! On Saturday the rostered locos are to be confirmed but GWR prairie 5199 is running. The Golden Arrow dining set is also running and the timetable is Service Number One. Full details are available on the website, link in my signature.

Personally I normally get to Sheffield Park early, watch the locos getting prepped and coming off shed, then catch the first train from there all the way to Kingscote then hop off at Horsted Keynes on the way back to Sheffield Park. Visit the carriage works, shops, sidings and watch the other services go through before catching the train back to Sheffield Park and visit the loco shed and shop. Then watch the last trains coming in and shedding. The first loco off SP in the morning is usually about 9.30ish but obviously dependent on various rosters.

If you visit Bluebell and can squeeze it in, the Lavender Line is just down the road and should have trains running and possibly steam on the Saturday - call ahead and check, again website link in my signature.

Enjoy your trip and plenty of pics!
Old 25th August 2008, 20:47

John
according to the loco roster GWR 5199 and SECR 01 No 65 are rostered.The 01 is not expected to be in service for much longer so shoot it while you can.You could base yourself around Horsted Keynes, there is a public footpath just south of the station on the east side of the line.Afternoon shots from the west side at the same location is also possible.North of HK there is a footpath on the west side of the line where there are possibilities at a number of locations.The exit from the tunnel at West Hoathley is also another popular spot.Make sure you get yourself an OS map.
good luck
Stephen
Old 25th August 2008, 20:51
SouthernSteam

Stephen, have they just updated the roster then? I could only find one and it said rostered locos where 5199 and ??
Old 25th August 2008, 21:02

this is the loco roster I looked at http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bl...co_roster.html shows 5199 and 65
Old 31st August 2008, 16:50

Athough a trip to Sheffield Park is a must to see the locomotive sheds, I find that I spend most time at Horsted Keynes just mooching about and soaking up the great atmosphere. I've never tried parking at HK though.
Old 31st August 2008, 17:11
SouthernSteam

Parking is normally easy at HK, except on gala or special event days. Can be a bit tricky to find as the station isn't, like many country stations, in the immediate vicinity of Horsted Keynes village!

Personally, whilst HK is a great station and always has something going on and really cosy fires in the winter, I much prefer the quiet unmolested wonder of Kingscote TBH.....