16:18

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Canada Dock (Liverpool) Freight Line / Route of Coal Train

Old 7th November 2007, 15:17

Canada Dock (Liverpool) Freight Line / Route of Coal Train

I was wondering about the route of the trians using this line ! What i would like to know where it goes once it has reached edge Hill and Heads towards Manchester Via Rainhill etc Ie were does it take the coal to ?

Old 7th November 2007, 21:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
I was wondering about the route of the trians using this line ! What i would like to know where it goes once it has reached edge Hill and Heads towards Manchester Via Rainhill etc Ie were does it take the coal to ?
John,
Are you talking about the EWS coal trains from the Liverpool Bulk Terminal?

If so, they go to Fiddlers Ferry Power Station near Widnes. The route after Edge Hill is Rainhill - Earlestown (curve) - Warrington Bank Quay - Walton Old Junction Sidings (runround) - Latchford Siding (runround) - Fiddlers Ferry Power Station.
Old 8th November 2007, 15:33

Ah yes i remember now ive Been to Fiddlers Fery Power Station once but not on a train though.

Isn't it very sad how they have to bring coal in from abroard now to give us power etc.
Old 17th March 2008, 02:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_142 View Post
Ah yes i remember now ive Been to Fiddlers Fery Power Station once but not on a train though.

Isn't it very sad how they have to bring coal in from abroard now to give us power etc.
I couldn't agree more John. I swear that what I am about to say is true.

My father, a Whiston councilor when Fiddlers Ferry was being planned had to fight to get it a Dual Fuel Power Stn. The origional plan was for OIL only..... Boy where would that have led us since the 1960's eh?

Being a miner he fought for it to also burn coal....mined locally. Now they import it cheaply through Canada Dock from Venezuala or some such on the world market at inflated prices and whilst our own mines are dead and we pay our mining communities to sit on the dole....

"progress" or summat..............
Old 18th March 2008, 10:56

It's incredible is'nt it what politicians have done to our country. You know what is more sad is that we have sat back and let them do it.
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the miners strike, we have allowed an industry that could provide us with enough energy for decades, at least, to go to the wall.
I just find it unbelievable that we can now be so wise after the event.
Paul.
Old 18th March 2008, 19:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul miller View Post
It's incredible is'nt it what politicians have done to our country. You know what is more sad is that we have sat back and let them do it.
Whatever the rights and wrongs of the miners strike, we have allowed an industry that could provide us with enough energy for decades, at least, to go to the wall.
Paul.
Paul, I belive the real problem is that many remaining British Coal seams are too thin and twisted to be mined economically. Unless by men with picks and shovels on 2/- a day. I agree that the closedown of the British mining industry was vindictive, but it was inevitable. Another 10 years of subsidised UK coal production would really have made no difference to those commumities.
Old 19th March 2008, 11:13

Coal production

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul miller View Post
Paul.
Sadly Shed Cat is right Paul. THe equipment used underground in modern coal mines is only really effective with thick, dry shallow unfractured seams and these were nearly all worked out years ago. The cost of hewing wet fault-ridden 6 inch seams miles from the shaft and then sending the mix of coal and slag back to the pithead on conveyers or tubs to be sorted above ground was destroying the whole of the UK coal industry. The NUM always spoke of 300 years of coal but the cost of extraction would have risen to £000s per tonne when customers could buy shiploads from abroad for a tenth of that. It wasn't Thatcher who closed the mines, it was coal's own customers buying elsewhere.
Old 25th March 2008, 15:59

Hi all,
I couldn,t help but comment on this thread, I worked for the C.E.G.B. commissioning Fiddlers Ferry in the 70,s..I then lived in Runcorn.
at the start of its life the power station,had four coal/oil fired boilers. and four Gas turbines, The merry-go round system in use then was almost none stop (24/7) bringing coal in from as far as Yorkshire and Nottinghamshire, 1 , 1000 tonne train could keep the boilers operational for approx 6 hours , to keep ahead of the requirements. at full generating capacity. The advent (or so it seemed) of cheap foriegn coal,(poland, Venazuela, etc ) did hurt the UK mining industry very hard. many of the Pits around here (Sheffield) where i now live , were closed forthwith , because of the cheap imports, however several are now being reopened, to supply our power stations again..the actual mining of the coal is mostly nowadays done by mechanised machinery, which takes rock and all ,but as power stations use pulverised fuel (coal dust) a bit of rock doesn,t matter,
just thought i would throw this into the mix as it were
best regards derby
Old 28th March 2008, 02:00

DebRoy, I'm speaking about the "planning stage" of Fiddlers Ferry, well before it began to be constructed. The fact that it was able to burn coal at all when built was down to pressure from local Councilors and MP's who supported them. My Father was but one of those. Before that, the origional plan was for OIL burning only!

And Shed Cat, ...I'm sorry fella, You're wrong. I myself have worked in the local mines around Fiddlers Ferry. Local seams were: Wigan 4 feet, Wigan 5 feet, Rushy Park (6 feet).....and coal used to pour off the coal face conveyors from the most modern coal cutting machines available anywhere.

In other areas like Nottingshire, Lincolnshire, South Yorkshire, Seams up to 20ft thick were not uncommon.....

.............and it's all still down there, 300 yrs worth........now flooded, and probably unreachable.

EDIT:

I'm sorry, I should explain. Once a mine has been closed, the pumps are stopped, and naturally it floods. Eventually the water breaks up the strata for miles and if you then try to mine into it.............it has no strength of it's own anymore, and breaks up if you try to mine into it (after you have spent decades pumping out the water that is!) Any ex-miner will tell you that our deep mined coal is still there. It was abandoned for ever around 1984. Now we have to pay the inflated price for our coal fuel on the world market........yet we have centuries of the stuff beneath our feet!

One day soon, "clean coal technology" will be a reality. Removing the carbon from the burning process. If this is in a gaseous form, it could be used to pump down the drying out oil wells in order to extract the "dregs" of the wells in the North sea. Just like Arthur Scargill said (in 1984) and GW Bush said: (in 2008).

Funny old world isn't it?

Last edited by Resolution; 28th March 2008 at 02:25.
Old 28th March 2008, 10:08

I wont get involved in the technical and geological stuff, because interesting as it is, I dont really know anything about it.
I worked in the mining industry as well. In fact it was probably the happiest and most formative time of my working life.
I have worked on 3ft faces repairing machinery, and 12 ft seams repairing machinery. Those faces where, for any one who knows about these things, Mickley and Soft Coal. This was in the Derbyshire coalfield.
I make this point because I have worked in the industry, and all I know is that history will show that the decimation of the coal industry was for all the wrong reasons. Right or wrong, the miners strike has, and will continue to cost this country dearly. Not just in financial terms either.
Cheap fuel from abroad is only cheap for as long as the supplier wants it to be, no one owes us anything.
Paul.