18:44

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

if only i had a tardis

Old 27th November 2011, 14:22

I'd love to go back to the Steyning branch before it was closed and ripped up in 1966. I thought Bramber was one of the loveliest country stations I'd ever seen. I can just remember steam on the branch up to 1963/64 then demu's during the final days. It would be the little things like buying a "real" size train ticket (for about a shilling), seeing all the stations staffed with waiting facilities and nice comfortable Bulleid rolling stock.

Old 27th November 2011, 15:34

I have so many happy memories of my spotting days back in the 50's and 60's. So many places I loved including Lincoln Central especially on a sunday when we saw ECML locos diverted through. Grantham was a good spot too, so was York and Nottingham and Derby. I also managed to travel a lot to the smoke on my way to Belgium at least three times a year from Linclon to Dover and onto Brussels passing through KX, and Victoria. Now that was special and I would take my tardis back to those days. I too would like to hit the big four at the peak of their days. I could go on but I still have many memories, sadly not many photos though.
Regards
Phil
Old 27th November 2011, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.G.F.A.N. View Post
I started my days at Man Vic in 1959 as a youngster. 1d for a platform ticket,stayed all day, the place was brilliant.Went back a few months ago, sorry sight now though.
very sorry state went there in 50s usualy for brit or scot on glasgows usually went to london rd much better altho manchester was not a frequent place usualy it was doncaster or york or leeds
Old 14th January 2012, 16:21

I'd use the tardis first to go to all the many places I didn't get to in the late 50 s and early 60 s.
Then I would go to the WCML, around Golborne, and watch the endless procession, most of them hammering down the fast straights.
Another area a little further north, was Taylors lane bridge overlooking the branch, and the sand brew, where you could cover both Wigan NW, and Wigan Wallgate.
mickey
Old 14th January 2012, 19:47

I'd love to spend a day at Tonbridge station in the mid 50s. Bulleid pacifics and Schools 4-4-0s rushing through regularly, interspersed with local goods and passenger trains... I missed it all by a decade or so.
Old 15th January 2012, 08:34

Location: Lancashire (but the GPO will insist on telling me I live in Merseyside)
Well if I had only one chance to go back it would be to pre grouping days at Carlisle. Six of seven different companies using the station, all with their distinct liveries. It would be a fantastic experience to watch a LNW "George V" taking over a train of JWC stock from a Caley "Dunalistair" , with the crimson lake of the Midland, and various greens of the N E, GSW and N B all coming in and out as well.
If I could have another go, Shap in the days of unrebuilt "Scots" and streamlined Duchesses might get the vote

KEN
Old 15th January 2012, 12:20

Tardis

If I could go back it would have to be somewhere inbetween the drought of 1977 and spring 1980 and i would do another London depots trip. From Derby down to St Pancras behind a peak, off to kings cross and up to Finsbury Park MPD for some deltics and 47's, across to Liverpool street and out to Stratford MPD for some 31's then across north London to Willesden MPD for some AC electrics and a brisk walk across the road to Old Oak Common MPD for (of course) the big class 50's (still to this day never got haulage from), and the if we had time a quick sprint into south London and a visit to Hither Green MPD for some Class 73 and 33 action and then back to St Pancras for a very pleasing trip back home, knackered and pages of numbers and reels of photo's to get developed. Did this about four times ever within the dates i chose, what classic traction and depots where you nearly always got round either with permission (FP and WN) or without permission (OC, SF and HG). Thats my tardis day out, cheers guys.

Last edited by talky-tim; 16th January 2012 at 19:41.
Old 15th January 2012, 13:54

Cool

anybody have memories of the scottish region as we all seem to go for ecml or wcml areas etc.
Old 15th January 2012, 17:46

Manchester in the early 50's was a great place for spotters. Manchester Victoria/Exchange with over 400 movements with ex L&Y locos on Lancashire coast trains and local trains, on a Summer saturday. Freight between Liverpool and Yorkshire with O2's, O4's and WD's.
London Road with LNWR locos from Crewe, Stoke and all points South, LNER locos from Sheffield and the Great Central line. There were also the Altringcham electric units. Again about 300 Saturday movements.
Central (Now Gmex) was very interesting for Midland trains from St Pancras and the mix of CLC trains with LNER locos, although there were fewer movements than at the other two stations there was always interest in the turntable at the end of the platform and in the enormous goods depot which could be seen from the platform ends.
I was also a saturday regular at the East Lancs Road bridge at Golborne on the West Coast line.
Old 15th January 2012, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37260 View Post
anybody have memories of the scottish region as we all seem to go for ecml or wcml areas etc.
Yes. The week-long "Freedom of Scotland" ticket in 1960 allowing one to get away from the main depots to places like Forfar, Polmont, & Fort William