15:11

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Looking for a disused line

Old 6th November 2011, 19:54

Looking for a disused line

Hi everyone

My name is Charlotte

I'm making a film about a Stationmaster and Diesel line, can anyone recommend any abandoned lines in the U.K that still have track on them?

Many thanks

Old 6th November 2011, 20:27

You'll be very lucky to find track still down as when a railway line becomes surplus to requirements the track is usually very quickly removed due to the cost savings they may get out of it and so the land can be sold off

You may be better off with a smaller preserved line

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 6th November 2011, 21:11
Station Manager

The problem with using a preserved line is that it will cost you! We would be happy to provide facilities for you to film at the Ecclesbourne Valley Railway in Derbyshire but there would be a charge.

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 6th November 2011, 21:55

Hi Charlotte

I don't want to be discouraging but, even if you did find a length of "disused" line, it still belongs to someone - probably Network Rail, an operator or a private company. Filming on it without permission would certainly be trespassing. You might get permission (eventually) to film but I bet it would be much harder and more time-consuming than approaching a preserved railway. They will welcome you but yes, quite reasonably, they will make a charge.
Old 6th November 2011, 23:52

You could try the Wisbech & March Bramley Line, as they have track in place, but not yet running trains.

If you do contact them, don't hold your breath for an answer, as of late, they wish to remain somewhat secretive, which is the reason Why I recently terminated my membership after over 7 years dedication to the project.
Old 7th November 2011, 11:16

I know Network Rail are currently lifting the Denby branch, but how far have they got?

(Just north of Derby, running from Little Eaton)
Old 7th November 2011, 22:44

What about the Gaerwen-Amlwch branch on Anglesey in North Wales? Hasn't had a train in about 18 years but all 17 miles of track still in place - if you can find it beneath the undergrowth, of course...

Last edited by Shimbleshanks; 7th November 2011 at 22:47.
Old 7th November 2011, 22:47

Another one in North Wales - the Blaenau-Ffestiniog line. That one might be relatively free of undergrowth - I think there's some sort of agreement with the nuclear power authority to keep it clear of weeds.
Old 9th November 2011, 22:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimbleshanks View Post
Another one in North Wales - the Blaenau-Ffestiniog line. That one might be relatively free of undergrowth - I think there's some sort of agreement with the nuclear power authority to keep it clear of weeds.
There was an article about this line on the local ITV Welsh News tonight. Apparently volnteers are currently clearing the Blaenau Ffestiniog - Trawsfynedd line. This is apparently in connection with a pedal-powered transport and tourist project!

Sorry not to be more informative about this but I'm afraid I didn't catch the whole piece.

Further Info: They have just repeated the piece and apparently it's called a Velorail. The vehicle seems to consist of a 4 wheeled and disc-braked lightweight vehicle which is pedal powered by two passengers. Actually seems like it could be fun.

Last edited by merryhampton; 9th November 2011 at 23:41. Reason: poor spelling and checking. Further info from later news bulletin.
Old 10th November 2011, 00:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by merryhampton View Post
There was an article about this line on the local ITV Welsh News tonight. Apparently volnteers are currently clearing the Blaenau Ffestiniog - Trawsfynedd line. This is apparently in connection with a pedal-powered transport and tourist project!

Sorry not to be more informative about this but I'm afraid I didn't catch the whole piece.

Further Info: They have just repeated the piece and apparently it's called a Velorail. The vehicle seems to consist of a 4 wheeled and disc-braked lightweight vehicle which is pedal powered by two passengers. Actually seems like it could be fun.
And probably faster than a Parry Peoplemover...