17:27

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

South Africa: Steam loco derailed after thieves steal sleepers.

Old 21st June 2010, 06:15

South Africa: Steam loco derailed after thieves steal sleepers.

Train derails in Cullinan after sleepers were removed

The problem with wooden sleepers is that they can be sold as people use them to make furniture and curios. Of course, the thieves don't think about the consequences of removing them. I don't think the loco was too badly damaged, thank goodness.

Old 21st June 2010, 13:09

If the above link does not work, Click here

Quote:
Pretoria - A steam engine pulling carriages with hundreds of passengers on board derailed just outside Pretoria on Sunday, probably because sleepers were stolen from under the train track near the Cullinan station.

The carriages did not derail, and none of the 627 passengers were injured. There were no tourists on board.
A preliminary investigation shows that thieves stole a few sleepers from the track near Cullinan, and that seems to be the cause of the accident," said Jaftha.

The steam locomotive, coal tender and the train's water tank derailed and overturned.
Old 21st June 2010, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27vet View Post
Train derails in Cullinan after sleepers were removed

The problem with wooden sleepers is that they can be sold as people use them to make furniture and curios. Of course, the thieves don't think about the consequences of removing them. I don't think the loco was too badly damaged, thank goodness.
There's another interesting article about it here:
http://blogs.timeslive.co.za/wandere...k-in-the-head/

They do say the loco is badly damaged. Falling over on its side even at low speed would bend a lot of bits I imagine!

Also the links at the bottom of the page give a sad story of SA's steam tourism at the moment
Old 21st June 2010, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve from GWR View Post
Also the links at the bottom of the page give a sad story of SA's steam tourism at the moment
Very sad. My dad used to take us on the train almost every weekend in the late 60s. South African Railways was a very proud establishment in those days.

Start at the following link and you can see many pictures, past and present : http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=12115
Old 22nd June 2010, 06:06
Registered Member

Well I dont know a great deal about the railway in South Africa, not from a personal side anyway. But I have met a couple of chaps who used to work on that railway, one chap who became a good mate, I met him when he was a "tapper" on BR.
But from what they used to talk about the Railway in that country, it was a well organised, well liked and very proffessional railway and a lot of good railwaymen worked on it.
If it has changed now in modern times, it is hopefully not for the worst.

Hope everything is ok over there.