16:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Rail services are back to normal (BBC News)

Old 9th January 2010, 13:10

Rail services are back to normal (BBC News)

Rail services in the West Midlands are restored after passengers were delayed by up to two hours.

More from BBC News...

Old 9th January 2010, 13:40
Registered Member

Do you know, it really makes me "cringe", rail services are suffering delays and what do they do ? Put on rail replacement bus services !!
If the trains are suffering what chance have you got in a bus ?
These bus/coach operators must be sitting by the phone every day waiting for a bad weather report and rubbing their hands with glee !

Old 9th January 2010, 14:21

I think since the 60s that every road lobby hopes the railways suffer.
Old 9th January 2010, 16:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 48111 View Post
Do you know, it really makes me "cringe", rail services are suffering delays and what do they do ? Put on rail replacement bus services !! If the trains are suffering what chance have you got in a bus ?
Someone I know (who works for a TOC in the south) reliably informs me that a couple of weeks ago, when track & pointwork were frozen, and all trains beteen A and B were cancelled for the day, that a de-icing unit hadn't been used because it was cheaper to pay for buses, taxis and compensation than to use a de-icer and have the trains running. How is this ever a reliable system? He's digusted by the attitude of the TOC he works for.
As for buses... In Gosport, (as I said in another thread) no buses since Tuesday as roads hadn't been gritted - it turns out that buses HAVE been running since yesterday, but only on ONE route between Gosport and Fareham, which largely bypasses the main large residential areas, and the last bus in either direction on this one service are 20.10 hrs. It's CRAP!