16:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Members Area > Say Hello

Help...Is this an old hot/cold cart?

Old 5th February 2013, 01:07

Help...Is this an old hot/cold cart?

Hi all,

I bought this item at a flea market this past summer and haven't been able to find any information on it. The story I was told (and am not sure if I should believe) is that it's a cart that was wheeled around on a train to sell hot/cold items to passengers. The date I was given was 1920(ish). There are no markings on it. The frame is wood, but the surface is some sort of metal, with a [fading] faux wood finish over it. The inside is aluminum, and in pretty good condition (especially if it is that old). There is a chain to prevent the top from opening all the way backwards, and two latches to close it shut. There are 3 sections with lids, and one of them has a grate at the bottom (for coal to keep items hot?). That "pot" has a Wear-ever tin in it, but the condition of that doesn't match the condition of the rest of the inside, so I feel that was put in later. (Not entirely sure, though).

If anyone has any idea as to what this is, if it is in-fact a train's hot/cold food cart from the early 20th century, or even if I'm way off, I will be very grateful.

Thank you!!
Rachel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0987.jpg (95.5 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0981.jpg (110.3 KB, 21 views)

Old 5th February 2013, 18:00

Right a few questions
1/ how big is it
2/ are there any marks on it

My Opinion is at present no

it certainly doesn't look like it is waist high which is what I would expect a catering cart to be unless it was for use taking food to a buffet car to serve from there it certainly wouldn't be taken through a train if it were smaller

Most pre-grouping Railways inscribed their company logo on EVERYTHING so I would almost expect each item to have a mark

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 5th February 2013, 20:56

1. I didn't measure it myself, but my coworker managed to find this (in almost an instant!), which helps a bit, but still leaves a lot of questions unanswered: http://www.etsy.com/listing/83599420...od-warmer-rare

The measurements they give are 36" wide, 17" tall and 15 1/2 " deep. It's basically the size of a bench.

2. There were no markings that I could find. The person in this Etsy posting listed it as "Coleman", though I wonder what led her to believe that, since I doubt hers has any markings either.

I'm wondering if this is indeed a food warmer/cooler, but not specifically for trains/railroads.

Thanks for your feedback on my post. Much appreciated!!

Rachel
Old 6th February 2013, 21:34

Working on that listing it would appear to be more like "Estate" furniture/equipment - say for a hunt or harvest rather than for the Railway

The one thing about Early 20 Century Railways was their stamping of their crest on every part of an item to ensure it could not be stolen which is why there are so many Clocks with GWR / LNER / GCR / LMS / MR / NER etc. around even today

Old 9th February 2013, 14:36

Thanks so much for your reply, Madcaravanner! I'm gonna keep digging around, but what you said about it not having any markings from the railroad makes sense, so that is certainly helpful.
Old 9th February 2013, 22:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachow View Post
Thanks so much for your reply, Madcaravanner! I'm gonna keep digging around, but what you said about it not having any markings from the railroad makes sense, so that is certainly helpful.

Good luck in your search