08:09

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

Modern Locos Have No Character!

Old 13th February 2013, 13:01

Unhappy Modern Locos Have No Character!

Is it just me or does anybody else think locos are going the same way as cars, becoming boring boxes? Oh, a freight train, class 66 loco, maybe a different livery, where’s the interest in that? In my day there were God knows how many different classes on BR, each with their own character. I was certified on 14 different classes not to mention sub classes when refurbished versions came out, i.e. 37/0, 37/7 etc. Standardisation is a great thing from the TOC’s point, stick any loco on any service, only complication now is if a loco has aim for a TMD for an exam or repair.

Old 13th February 2013, 15:55

Hi Steve,
I have managed to get into my 70's without being certified !!
There is something in what you say especially when comparing DMU's and EMU's but even I can tell a 70 from a 66. There is still a fair amount of interest to see, espcially around Derby station from reports in the blogs.
Old 13th February 2013, 16:02

NO Wrong

The classes of loco's continue to have different characters

the Ying Ying of a class 66 as it sits idling

the burning smell of a class 70 as it catches fire again

the Thump Thump of the class 60 exhaust is almost as good as a 37 opening up with Clag and power
nothing sounds like a class 20 starting up and it's turbos whining

OK they're not as spectacular as a Steamer especially when the driver gets it wrong and she slips on starting

If you look the stuffs there but still nothing beats a Deltic in full cry

https://www.flickr.com/gp/grays_photos/6P1643
Old 13th February 2013, 16:58

You mentioned 20s, 37s, 60s, they are locos of my period, drove many, many of them. They had character but 66s? I was trained on 66s as a Traction Inspector, 67s as well and I always found them kinda sterile Can I compare it to modern and vintage cars? A nice, new modern car, looks OK, you know not much is going to go wrong with it but it's doesn't fire up the soul, a vintage car, yes things will go wrong, it'll break down now and then but it's fun to drive

If you want clag 37s were good but a 56 took a lot of beating. We used to run loaded coal trains south out of Millerhill on the ECML, 36 HAAs and two 56s in multiple. The trains started from Millerhll so the 56s hadn't had a chance to "clear their throats" for a while! Joining the main line at Monktonhall Jcn was on a sweeping left hand curve, you'd be hanging out of the cab window checking the train, as soon as you saw the last HAA clear the junction the throttle went right round to full. Both 56s would wind up and the world disappeared in a cloud of reek
Old 13th February 2013, 18:13
Registered Member

[QUOTE=stevestrat;74556]Is it just me or does anybody else think locos are going the same way as cars, becoming boring boxes? Oh, a freight train, class 66 loco, maybe a different livery, where’s the interest in that? QUOTE]

I'm so glad most of my few years working as a fireman on British Railways was spent on steam locos. I agree with Steve modern locos have no character and look like boxes.

The only diesels I worked on was the Prototype Deltic (which had a bit of character) and a few Type 4 EEs. I know nothing about electric trains or 20s 37s 60s and 36 HAAs whatever that means. I worked on all the Pacific types, plus V2s 9Fs B1s at Kings Cross (all proper engines) .
Photo shows me and Arthur my driver at Kings Cross on Prototype Deltic waiting for right away to Doncaster in 1960.
http://tinyurl.com/6fqpttw
Old 13th February 2013, 18:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by locojoe View Post
36 HAAs whatever that means
HAA is the MGR type coal wagon (see below), been replaced by the huge hoppers that are on the go now.

Deltics, now yes they had character, bucketfulls of it. I was rarely on one, I was at Millerhill just outside Edinburgh, predominantly freight with some passener work, the Deltics were worked by "Brylcream Boys" at Haymarket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HAA.jpg (46.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 13th February 2013, 20:56

Like the photo Joe! Looks like you were having fun! Well we are all showing our age when we no longer see the modern stuff as exiting! Got to agree with all being said, and for me steam was and is king! That said I do like the Deltics, Peaks, brush 4s, 37s but that is as far as I go with that!
Cheers
Phil
Old 13th February 2013, 21:08
Station Manager

Really good day at Duffield today, as we were clearing the area ready for the platform to be extended, in the gently falling snow - oh the joys of per way work!

Just as I arrived a 60 towing two tampers. Then an HST. not long afterwards a DRS 37 going north light engine. Then another tamper under it's own power. Finally another HST.

What a change from the normal diet of Meridians, Voyagers and (153/156 Matlock Branch Trains!

Just goes to show that not all days are boring on Network Rail!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Belper Model Railway Group.
Old 16th March 2013, 12:32

Until quite recently I used to think the class 70s looked awful but now I think they are not so bad but nothing nowadays beats first generation BR locos. I have to say however that my dislike of the 66s is as strong as ever, especially the cab design.
Old 21st March 2013, 01:25

Just cant take to the freightliner class 70"s,but do like the 66"s and 67"s but you cant beat the 37"s...