17:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Diesel & Electric > Diesel & Electric Discussion

The ones that got away!

Old 9th November 2005, 21:38

The ones that got away!

Oooh, first post in this forum!

Right, what do people on here think is the most glaring omission from the current UK preservation field?

A couple spring to my mind.

The first prototype of mainline diesels such as LMS 10000/10001 or even the southern 10201-10203 are obvious ones historically. But what about products from the Glasgow NBL factory? I think im right in saying the only existing mainline engine made by NBL surviving is 84 001?

Any other suggestions??

Paul

Old 13th November 2005, 21:38

Missing classes...

Well lots! Baby Deltics (class 23), NBL type 2s (Classes 21, 22 and 29),plus various prototypes... Lion, Falcon and Kestrel spring to mind.

To my mind the biggest gap is Falcon, as she was a prototype in the development of the class 47, and she came soooo close to being preserved.

Rich
Old 16th November 2005, 05:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie
Missing classes...

Well lots! Baby Deltics (class 23), NBL type 2s (Classes 21, 22 and 29),plus various prototypes... Lion, Falcon and Kestrel spring to mind.

To my mind the biggest gap is Falcon, as she was a prototype in the development of the class 47, and she came soooo close to being preserved.

Rich
Do you feel that the prototype like that is important to preserve? Falcon did lead to the most important model of that diesel era. What about models that were dead ends like the Baby Deltic, do you feel that it is important to preserve them even though they didn't lead anywhere in diesel development?
Old 16th November 2005, 20:01

It's hard to define how important the preservation of a given loco is. For instance, how important would the preservation of 10000/10001/1020x be, given that the 16CVST lives on in 40s and 50s? I'm of the mindset that sees the bread and butter as important to preserve, as the unusual will inevitably be well documented. As such, I'm pleased to see the preservation of locos such as 47s, which though might not be considered especially interesting represent the everyday railway. The humble DMU is another example, again not considered especially interesting by many (I love 'em myself), but much more respresentative of the railway as a whole than, say, the Royal Train.

As for glaring gaps, I don't think that there are any. All major classes have been preserved already, the missing examples are as you note, either prototypes or unsuccesful. I'd love to see Kestrel in the flesh though.

Richie
Old 18th November 2005, 16:29

Oh, La, La

What about the Michellin Railcar!, now that was an odd beast...
Old 21st November 2005, 22:57

What about the D600 Warship that languished at Barry for so long? That was an opportunity missed.
Old 5th December 2006, 21:30

i think at least one example of eny Steam, Diesel, Electric, DMU, DEMU, EMU. locomotive or unit should be "or should have been" preserved, in operational condition.
Old 6th December 2006, 23:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie
I'd love to see Kestrel in the flesh though.
I think that Kestrel is a definite contender for the title of 'The one that got away' especially considering that it was only eventually scrapped in the early 90's.
Old 19th March 2007, 10:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie View Post
Missing classes...

Rich
Although I always was a fan of Falcon, I dont think she was a prototype of the class 47...she looked a bit similar but was more like a diesel electric version of a Western....I think Lion (albeit a BRCW produst) was more in the 47 mould as she had a Sulzer engine but I guess the true forebear of the 47 was the 46.....
Old 19th March 2007, 11:17

Electrics are the ones which probadly wont be perserved due to the fact that there is no perserved lines with overhead electric gantrys to run them and hence wont be saved.