22:45

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

Felixstowe freight.

Old 1st November 2009, 15:43

Felixstowe freight.

Does any freight travel to Felixstowe from the north ? If so do they have to change the engine round at Ipswich ?

It looks like (from my map) there is only direct access to the Felixstowe branch for trains approaching from Colchester direction.

Old 21st December 2009, 20:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pre65 View Post
Does any freight travel to Felixstowe from the north ? If so do they have to change the engine round at Ipswich ?

It looks like (from my map) there is only direct access to the Felixstowe branch for trains approaching from Colchester direction.
There are f/l trains from Leeds which run round in Ipswich yard. They pass through Stowmarket.

Tel
Old 21st December 2009, 22:18

There are 2 lines running into Felixstowe - one comes from Colchester side and is freight only. The other uses the passanger line and runs past the station into the north end of the docks.
Old 21st December 2009, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
There are 2 lines running into Felixstowe - one comes from Colchester side and is freight only. The other uses the passanger line and runs past the station into the north end of the docks.
I have no wish to contradict your post but that is not how i believe it to be.

Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean ?

EDIT. having thought about what you posted, do you mean two lines into the docks area ? The "new" line which branches off just after Trimley is not shown on my (1984) Ordnance survey map.

It was your comment about "Colchester side" that threw me, as you have to go through Ipswich to get there. (on a train at least !)

I hope to go freight spotting there before too long.

Last edited by pre65; 21st December 2009 at 23:19. Reason: Additions.
Old 22nd December 2009, 21:31

Yes sorry Pre65 I wasnt thinking straight (all this snow chaos) The southern terminal is inside Trinity Terminal and the northern terminal is at Languard end. I think there used to be a rail connection right along the middle of the dock but they disconnected it now.
Old 23rd December 2009, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by klordger1900 View Post
Yes sorry Pre65 I wasnt thinking straight (all this snow chaos) The southern terminal is inside Trinity Terminal and the northern terminal is at Languard end. I think there used to be a rail connection right along the middle of the dock but they disconnected it now.
No, it's still there. It runs alongside Coldstore Road swapping sides briefly to negotiate a pipe run of some kind and swapping back again.