05:42

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Boy, 2, killed on rail crossing (BBC News)

Old 7th September 2009, 21:50

Boy, 2, killed on rail crossing (BBC News)

A two-year-old boy is killed instantly when he is struck by a train on a foot crossing in Cambridgeshire.

More from BBC News...

Old 8th September 2009, 09:20

how on earth can this happen? where were his parents? what were they doing?

So many level crossing incidents recently, do people not understand that a moving train will kill you?
Old 8th September 2009, 18:53

apparently he lived close by the line and had managed to wander out of his caravan and the site. Being only almost 3 he had no idea of the danger. Sadly his mother was unable to stop him and saw the accident.
There by the grace of god go i!
Richard
Old 9th September 2009, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard thompson View Post
apparently he lived close by the line and had managed to wander out of his caravan and the site. Being only almost 3 he had no idea of the danger. Sadly his mother was unable to stop him and saw the accident.
There by the grace of god go i!
Richard
My nephew is nearly 3, he needs constant supervision or else he breaks or ruins something. I picked him up from school recently and would not let go of his arm until we got to the car.

Notice how network rail appear to be getting the blame, cue another set of "regulations" to stop the proles from injuring themselves
Old 9th September 2009, 11:20
Registered Member

Well according to the BBC news, the little chap was visiting the travellers site adjacent to the railway and he managed to wander off and get on to the line.A very sad time for the mother who saw it and the family in general......but dont forget the train driver, especially if he was a family man with kids of his own.
Any death by train is bad enough, but a little child like that, absolutely horrendous.

RIP little fella.

Old 9th September 2009, 11:43

I thought the article says that he LIVES on the traveller site with his family.

As everyone has been saying on all forums, thoughts are with the driver, but just like firemen, police, armed forces, you know what the risks are when you sign up.

For me this is terrible negligence on the part of the parent and no pseudo fluffy sentiments will change that.

Similar to this, I read that outside Sheffield, people are complaining that their children are being hurt on razor wire that was put up to stop trespassing on the line.

I just don't understand the mentality of these idiots. It's as if they think that its their right to trespass on a railway. Until we stop saying "ooh the poor little mite" and lambast the parents for not looking after their children properly then this will continue to happen.

OK she has lost her child, but its her fault, why do you think that she cant talk to the media? Because she KNOWS she was at fault.

Just mon avis
Old 9th September 2009, 13:10
Registered Member

I aggree with 95% of what you say. But having been on the railway all my working life AND on the footplate, luckily never having a fatal incident, I do know drivers that did.The only little point of disagreement I have with your reply is to say again, spare a thought for the driver, especially the shock, which can affect people in different ways and to repeat myself again, any death by train is bad enough but a small child like that, well it does not bear thinking about.
But what you say about the parents, yes I aggree entirely with what you say, you are quite correct. But there HAS to be sympathy for the bloke or woman driving the train.

Cheers,

Old 11th September 2009, 15:47

sorry mate, please don't get me wrong.

I spare a LOT of thought for the drivers as they are highly skilled and keep this country moving.

I did not mean to appear as dismissive as I did, I was just trying to say that with all jobs, there are risks.

Even driving to work in the morning carries a risk. In my first 6 months in IT, 2 of my close colleagues were killed in road accidents on their way to work, that certainly had an impact on me.

I guess it made me take death less seriously!
Old 11th September 2009, 18:58

I think that the deaths have something to do with public opinion.
People think as a rule that trains are slow.
This is not true however.
Old 11th September 2009, 21:33
Registered Member

Hello John, no worries mate, I understand.