08:18

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

What if...

Old 29th April 2009, 19:54

Talking What if...

If you ran a major passenger operating company (or if you'd prefer, a freight one) in the UK, where would you run your trains and what trains would you run. also, what would you be called (and I mean a little more serious than [your name]RAIL!).

Mine would be called SiliSpeed Trains (it's a long story where the 'SiliSpeed' comes from). i would probably run fast trains in and around London. I had an Idea for a fast service between Peterborough and Brighton by use of the Thameslink line and a new connection that is planned to be built between the ECML and the Thameslink line. I would also run long distance trains because there are still so many unused routes in the north.
I was also thinking of a fast serviceon the London Underground linking all the main Termini (I know it wouldn't work with all the timetabling but y'know, What if... ).
As for stock, I would use a set of stock designed by myself. I have the plans minimised on my computer as I am writing this. I have designed a set of High speed trains (don't worry, they're not MUs!), high speed MUs and low speed MUs all my EMUs are Dual voltage for compatibility with the southern.
I'm not actually planning to do this for real so don't criticise my (or anyone elses) ideas because I'm entitled to my own fantasies.

PS if you do actually own a rail company I would be priveliged to talk to you!

Last edited by ECML43; 29th April 2009 at 21:15.
Old 29th April 2009, 21:14

Over the last 10 years at least there has been talk about a station at Southend Airport and Boreham/Beaulieu (near Chelmsford) so I would plan to build and run a shuttle tram service from Shoeburyness to Stanstead Airport via Shenfield and Witham and call it The Central Essex Shuttle Service or CESS!! You could even use this service as an alternative to getting to London by changing at Stansted Airport.
Old 29th April 2009, 21:30

I for one would attempt to introduce the concept of high frequency services (every 20 minutes or better, 10 preferably) on lines which are heavily used but currently served by only a few trains an hour, using cheaper tram-like vehicles which means they can be more of them at more frequent intervals but with similar running costs, on current infrastructure with little to no upgrading, in an attempt to compete with the buses where it's not practical to build a tramway nor is it profitable to run a comprehensive traditional railway anymore.

Not exactly a unique idea I grant you but one I sort of like.

I'd name it FQ, after the timetable denotion for frequent service.
Old 27th May 2009, 14:48

I'd electrify the Midland Mainline north of Bedford to Nottingham and Sheffield. Then i'd also electrify the line from Sheffield to Doncaster and from Sheffield to where the line joins the Leeds mainline. Then when the HST's need replacing you can order new higher speed electric trains and rid the Meridians to Cross Country as they need more capacity. You could then also extend the Thameslink network north to locations such as Corby or Leicester.
Old 1st July 2009, 13:01

How about a direct route, built to Continental loading gauge, from , say, Sheffield and/or Manchester to the Channel Tunnel at Dollands Moor?
Passenger trains by day, Freight traffic by night round the clock.
As to a name?
Well, "Great Central Railway" perhaps would fit the bill?
We could even lay a line up the central reservation of every motorway in the Country while we were at it.
Old 2nd July 2009, 13:35
Registered Member

Yes

Yes, the GREAT CENTRAL, now that would be good.

Old 2nd July 2009, 21:31
Station Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROUGH TOR View Post
How about a direct route, built to Continental loading gauge, from , say, Sheffield and/or Manchester to the Channel Tunnel at Dollands Moor?
I think your idea may not be as fancyful as you think. I believe there are people with access to the corridors of power who have similar ideas!

Best wishes,

John H-T.
Old 3rd July 2009, 18:38

That idea was promoted strongly some years back. A bill has been before parliament a couple of times but it keeps betting kicked out at the committee stage.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central...United_Kingdom)

Last edited by boilersuit; 3rd July 2009 at 18:42.
Old 6th July 2009, 09:32

Indeed.
It could even have a London terminal at, say, Marylebone.
Perhaps a new station at Nottingham too, we could call that one Nottingham Victoria perhaps?
Old 9th July 2009, 16:47

Scottish Freight

How about a trippling of the line from Perth to Inverness (It's still partly single track. The third line would be dedicated to channel tunnel style wagons for roll on roll off lorries. HGV would then be banned from the A9 north of Perth. We'd call ourselves "Lorries are Banned from the A9 Railways.com".............