07:15

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

weight of passenger cars.

Old 5th August 2009, 07:47

weight of passenger cars.

Hi there

I'm doing some research about the carbon-dioxide emissions of long distance train travel. It's quite easy to find estimations of the emissions from rail travel in the UK, but I'm interested in the carbon dioxide emissions of trains in lots of different countries.

Does anyone know how efficient the transsiberian trains are compared to the average UK train (which ATOC regards creates 54 gms of CO2 per passenger kilometer)

And is there a standard length, and by extension, a standard range of weights for passenger cars across the world, or do passenger cars differ greatly?

Many thanks for your help

Old 5th August 2009, 20:40

Hi,

We have in Spain the pretty unusual Talgo train, which far from being standard is formed by really short cars (depending on the series, between 11 and 15 m, much less than the usual passenger car), and each car could carry between 20 something or 30 something people, depending on the class.

The cars are articulated, that is, one 'rests' on the next one, having only two sets of wheels between them. The newest generation of Talgo trains can go as fast as 330 km/h, even though because of signaling thew only reach 300 km/h.

Talgo trains work in Spain, Germany, USA, Italy, Switzerland, France and Kazajstan, if I'm not wrong. They can change gauges on the move, and they do so in regular passengers services between Spain and France, Italy and Switzerland (from Madrid and Barcelona and Paris, and from Barcelona to Milan and Zurich). They also change gauges in domestic services in Spain, using the international 1435 mm gauge on the high-speed lines and the Spanish 1668 mm gauge on the rest of the network.

This shows you that even if there are some standard principles are useful, when you have a 'strange' thing in some cases, as is the Spanish gauge, you can always find a solution!

I don't know if there are smaller cars than the Talgo ones running, though.

Kind regards,
Old 5th August 2009, 21:08

Quote:
And is there a standard length, and by extension, a standard range of weights for passenger cars across the world, or do passenger cars differ greatly?
British and European passenger cars are under 70 feet long, IIRC. But American passenger cars are 85-89 feet long, and I believe they're a lot heavier too, both overall and per passenger.