11:32

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Quistion?

Old 11th April 2009, 17:01
SOUTHEASTERN-465

Question Quistion?

i know about the class 465 being built by B.R.E.L and METRO-CAMMEL,plus ABB,but i heard a prototype class 465 was converted for longer distance journeys and classified as a 465/3 to determine suitability,but before funding was authorised,these then became class 365s,is this true and does anyone know why it was reclassified at the last minute before production?

Old 13th April 2009, 12:31

Wikipedia seems to suggest it is true, I would suggest that their use on AC lines is the reason they are 365s rather than 465/3. Think of any unit introduced by BR and they tend to follow the trend below.

1xx - DMU
2xx - DEMU
3xx - AC Equipt EMU
4xx - Southern region DC only EMU
5xx - Non-Southern region DC only EMU.

The only exceptions I can think of are the 508s (which were initially put to work south of London) and possibly the 365s which were then used by Connex (did they have pans?).

The only other exceptions I can think of are much more recent, the 375/6/7 Electrostars, some of the 377s are dual voltage, the rest have only DC equipment.

Well done for making it past that today!
Old 6th June 2009, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
Wikipedia seems to suggest it is true, I would suggest that their use on AC lines is the reason they are 365s rather than 465/3. Think of any unit introduced by BR and they tend to follow the trend below.

1xx - DMU
2xx - DEMU
3xx - AC Equipt EMU
4xx - Southern region DC only EMU
5xx - Non-Southern region DC only EMU.

The only exceptions I can think of are the 508s (which were initially put to work south of London) and possibly the 365s which were then used by Connex (did they have pans?).

The only other exceptions I can think of are much more recent, the 375/6/7 Electrostars, some of the 377s are dual voltage, the rest have only DC equipment.
Don,t forget the Class 319.
Pretty much DC with a pan too.
Old 8th June 2009, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairyhandedfool View Post
<snip>... and possibly the 365s which were then used by Connex (did they have pans?).
They were designed to be Dual Voltage, so when they arrived on the Southeastern they were only DC fitted, but there were cupboard voids where the 25kV equipment needed to go. They didn't have pans fitted until they went over to the GN, but I believe that the conversion was a relatively pain free process.

Evidence of the Dual Voltage design was that when a driver cut a 365 back in on the Southeastern he had to remember to press the DC Select button as well, otherwise the train would wake up but wouldn't move. At the time this was the only stock there that required this, and it caused a fair bit of confusion.

In fact just like a class 319 needs nowadays (Hint,hint for any SouthEastern drivers who sign them and can't get the AWS horn to stop )
Old 1st July 2009, 12:45

Ha ha
What a 319 needs is a visit to the scrapyard, along with the rest of the infernal museum pieces.
One way.
Good units, but they have been well hammered and it shows.
Oh, and the Continental Ice shelf accelerates faster!
They actually make a 465 look very good, which up until recently I would have found hard to believe, but as I say, the 319,s have been very well used indeed.
The difference between them now and when we first had them when they were new is very marked.