06:14

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Fire at Historic Rail Museum

Old 7th March 2008, 12:41
Registered Member

Unhappy Fire at Historic Rail Museum

Fire at Historic Rail Museum

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/new...way_museum.php

Old 7th March 2008, 13:38
Registered Member

Fire Update

Fire update

VANDALS HAVE STRUCK AGAIN AT A NORTH EAST RAILWAY MUSEUM.

AN ARSON ATTACK DESTROYED VINTAGE RAILWAY CARRIAGES AT A MUSEUM TODAY.
FIRE CREWS WERE CALLED TO THE BOWES RAILWAY MUSEUM AT SPRINGWELL IN GATESHEAD JUST BEFORE 7am.
A GRASS FIRE HAD SPREADTO WAGONS IN THE OPEN AIR MUSEUM.
IN ALL, SIX CARRIAGES WERE DESTROYED AND MORE THAN £100.000 OF DAMAGE WAS CAUSED.
THREE OF THE CARRIAGES IN THE FIRE WERE THE ONLY REMAINING EXAMPLES OF WORKMANSHIP BY THE WATTS YARD IN NORTH SHIELDS.
FIREFIGHTERS BATTLED TO PUT OUT THE FLAMES, WHICH SET ALIGHT TO MORE THAN 70 OTHER WAGONS.
POLICE WERE CALLED TO THE SCENE TO HELP SECURE THE AREA AND INVESTIGATE THE INCIDENT, WHICH IS BEING TREATED AS SUSPECTED ARSON.
BOWES RAILWAY'S OPERATIONS MANAGER, JOHN YOUNG, 45, SAID: IT SHOWS TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THE NORTH EASTS HERITAGE. THIS WAS THE BIRTH PLACE OF THE RAILWAYS, BUILT BY GEORGE STEPHENSON IN 1826.
PEOPLE MIGHT LOOK AND AT THIS AND THINK THAT THESE ARE JUST A BUNCH OF OLD RAILWAY WAGONS, BUT THEY ARE THE ONLY ONES OF THEIR KIND LEFT ANYWHERE.
THE WORST THING ABOUT IT IS WE DEPEND ENTIRLEY ON WORK FROM VOLUNTEERS. ITS SUCH A SHAME.
POLICE SECURED THE SCENE ONCE THE FIRE WAS OUT TO ALLOW INVESTIGATORS TO DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF THE BLAZE.
THE CHARRED REMAINS OF THE WAGONS WERE DUE TO BE TOWED INSIDE.
FIRE CREWS ALSO REPORTED OTHER FIRES AROUND SPRINGWELL DURING THE NIGHT.
BOWES RAILWAY BOASTS THE LARGEST COLLESCTION OF INDUSTRIAL WAGONS IN THE COUNTRY.
MOST OF THE ROLLING STOCK DATES BACK TO BEFORE THE FIRST WORLD WAR AND IS NOW USED FOR ROPE HAULEGE DEMONSTRATIONS AND ENGINEERING WORKS.
Old 7th March 2008, 13:39
Registered Member

TRY THE LINK LINK BELOW TO SEE A VIDEO OF THE ROPE HAULAGE WAGON WAY ON THE MUSEUMS SITE.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDaXX...its/bowes-line

Last edited by locojoe; 7th March 2008 at 13:43.
Old 7th March 2008, 18:46

It must be heartbreaking for all the volunteers who have put so much time and effort into restoring the rolling stock.
The fire is probably the work of some little darlings who we are all expected to feel sorry for because they are bored and haven't got anything better to do.
Old 7th March 2008, 20:26
Station Manager

This as heartbreaking for all of us interested in our Railway Heritage. Bowes Railway has had so many knock backs recently. There must now be a real danger that it could go under.
Old 8th March 2008, 02:24

Yet another display of the senselessness so prevalent in the country today.

For myself I think that it's partially a result of the low esteem that railways in particular, and public transport in general, have in society. Railways are just not 'sexy' enough.
Old 8th March 2008, 09:15

Angry

This is really sad Just when you thought that Bowes Railway was turning the corner. I have never been but have been following its progress in Steam Railway and it seems to lurch from crisis to crisis. I have never been there but would like to go when it is fully operstional as the rope incline sounds very interesting.
Old 8th March 2008, 14:55

Just another example of a mindless moron/morons who have nothing better to do. I suppose some idiot somewhere will have a reason why they have done it. e.g. "They come from a broken home", "They have nothing to do around here". Actually I think its because they have not got a brain cell between them, but what would I know, I am not an expert.
My sympathy goes to the volunteers who work in all weathers to preserve our heritage, whilst these idiots lie stinking in there beds.
Can you tell I am angry?
Paul.