00:22

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

MOD Ashchurch and Ashchurch Railway Station

Old 4th August 2018, 20:24

MOD Ashchurch and Ashchurch Railway Station

Quote:
I was reading a book by Neil Parkhouse and looking at a series of photographs of the historic station at Ashchurch which was demolished as part of the fall out from the cuts associated with Dr. Breeching. Apart from feeling a sense of dismay that the original station and its building, together with the branch-lines it served, has been lost for ever, I noticed a reference to a siding serving MOD Ashchurch and decided to investigate.

DE&S Ashchurch, known locally as "Ashchurch Camp", was the UK MOD's primary vehicle storage and distribution site for all types of armoured and soft-skinned vehicles, together with Royal Engineer bridges, boats and construction plant. The Centre was the only vehicle depot in the UK using Controlled Humidity Environments (CHE) for long-term vehicle storage.
https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com...ailway-station

MOD Ashchurch remains at risk of closure and its site is marked in the local authority plan for mixed development.

Old 28th July 2019, 15:56

hello, I was a freight guard at Gloucester Railway depot 1970/71.recall shunting mod yard loaded trains etc. I lived on Ashchurch camp my father was a MOD Policeman. on few occasions caught trains back and forth from Gloucester then trains ceased stopping there 1971 ?
Old 29th July 2019, 08:49

Hi dfporth
Good to hear from you.
Best wishes
Roger