11:43

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > Railway Modelling > Virtual Railways

MSTS Settle - Carlisle "Trials"

Old 21st June 2006, 22:25

MSTS Settle - Carlisle "Trials"

Why don't we run some "Trials" on MSTS, on the Settle & Carlisle line, as that is a default route, and see who comes out fastest.

We could have seperate categories for Steam, Diesel and Electric.

I suggest starting at Settle, heading towards Carlisle (obviously! ) non-stop run with either 10 coaches for a single loco or 20 for two locos, etc. This way we can compare smaller locos which will just take 10 over single handed, with larger locos which will power their way over with ease. The fastest time "wins", but there is no prize, I hasten to add! Please don't modify .eng files or anything! Any locos can be used, so long as you believe the files to be accurate to the locos actual ability, no Andrew Barclay 0-4-0ST's with 10 coaches topping 40mph up to Ribbleshead!

Feel free to add coments/start - stop times, I managed 49min 17sec with 71000, 92203 + 30 coaches, as they are both superpower engines I decided it would be unfair to take only 20 over!

Old 22nd June 2006, 13:11

Smile

That's a great idea. I'll try with City of Wells when I have a chance. Did you get the Duke of the ELR add-on pack? It's the route I use the most.
Old 22nd June 2006, 15:44

I got the Duke from Blue Arrow's website, I haven't yet got the ELR add-on, though I probably will over the summer.
Old 22nd June 2006, 17:31

Smile

It's well worth it, it's got quite a few locomotives. Off the top of my head theres Gothenburg, the Crab, Leander, 45407, 45337, 76079 and a few more for the steamers. I can't remember what there is in the way of diesels, I'm not a big fan of them.