14:59

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

A single sick worker blamed for widespread delays across Sydney train network

Old 7th July 2023, 08:48

A single sick worker blamed for widespread delays across Sydney train network

Here's one for Aussiesteve ;-)

Link... Sick signaller causes rail chaos

It's unusual this. IIUIC in the UK there is usually a Senior Signaller on the 'Back Desk' in most power boxes, and they are able to take over a panel if there's a missing signaller (even Bobbies get "caught short" sometimes).

Also sometimes signallers are able to work more than one panel, when things go wrong.

Interesting hint at problems here..
Quote:
Graham said the delays put a “spotlight” on recruitment challenges in the industry.

“These are highly skilled jobs. It takes some time to recruit and train signallers. <snip> There are plans to address what has been a workforce shortage in that particular area.
Cheers, John

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 8th July 2023 at 17:34.
Old 9th August 2023, 02:58

AH The Rock.
That is what the whoop de doo train control centre is dubbed in smog hollow.
We have a stupid TV series dubbed Sydney Trains, featuring the modern day glory and glitz.
The Rock gets mentioned frequently when the wheels fall off.
Back in the good ole days we had signal boxes and pointcops sprinkled everywhere.
Eyes checking trains, especially goods trains, to ensure all was hunky dory.
Today we have CTCTV cameras.
Ah well, the eyes inside The Rock will also be in jeopardy as the driverless Metro slinks around more of the smog hollow commuter network.
NO eyes, just computers.
At least one gone missing pointcop won't bring it all to a grinding halt.
BUT, I can't wait until them computer hackers get into it.
The cattle must serve themselves for rescue missions when the Metro karks it.
Ah, bring back them good ole days.
The tick tock of the signal box regulator clock.
Bell codes.
The heavy thunk of the frame levers being hefted.
And USE that cloth to hold the lever to prevent sweat and grime from getting onto the lever handle.
The pointcop's voice over the two way radio, Train Complete, as the tail light rattles past.
I don't watch that stupid Sydney Trains series very often, way too annoying.
Old 13th August 2023, 18:55

You will enjoy this story about an unusual but very competent signalman team.

Jack_the_baboon
Old 20th August 2023, 10:35

I have heard of the railway station dog, and also the railway station cat, but NEVER heard of the railway station baboon.
Baboons are intelligent creatures, so potentially Jack might have been a dinkum employee.
Back in the good ole days, smog hollow tramway ticket snappers would ride the footboards of the toast-rack style trams collecting and snapping cattle tickets.
But, I doubt that any conductors did the James Jumper Wide technique.
OH&S would make this folly verboten today.
Though, some smog hollow teens have discovered a method of tempting fate by riding the extended Scharfenberg coupler between the pair of the stupid smog hollow light rail dingi.
One joyriding teen falling off and being run-over.
So, we may have some modern day James Jumper Wides here.
Old 21st August 2023, 14:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
I have heard of the railway station dog, and also the railway station cat......
Reminds me, when I first visited my allotted depot (after passing the Rules test and awaiting a Traction course) I popped into the Mess room and sat in a comfy looking chair. Suddenly there was a cheery chorus of "You can't sit there, that's the Depot Cat's chair". Not wishing to get a bad reputation I sprang out and picked another chair.

It was only some time later that I discovered that they were actually talking about a driver. Railway cats are reknowned for being very large and never wanting to do do any work - and there are some drivers who are the same.

In fact at all 3 depots I've worked that title has been awarded to someone.

Just sitting here reminiscing.

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 21st August 2023 at 15:41. Reason: Misplaced apostrophe OMG!!!
Old 25th August 2023, 02:22

Ah, a railway cat being the bludger.
Here we dub somebody who don't do their share as Suitcase.
Cause ya gotta carry them around with you.
There were stories of punch-ups on platforms between soot belcher crews when the train was being assisted.
One of the crews not performing the necessary amount of work to keep the train percolating forcing the other crew to really work hard.
Ah the good ole days, swinging the banjo, not laden with coal, but at the other firemans snoz.
Old 26th August 2023, 13:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiesteve View Post
There were stories of punch-ups on platforms between soot belcher crews when the train was being assisted.
One of the crews not performing the necessary amount of work to keep the train percolating forcing the other crew to really work hard.
Yes 40 years after steam finished here I've seen old drivers slag off another due to lack of etiquette when they were both firemen in the black & white days of IronHorses.

When a footplate crew handed over to another, it was expected that the fire was in a suitable condition. It's really crappy to step onto the footplate and find a small poorly laid fire when there's a big hill to climb up ahead, and conversely when you're booked to dispose of a loco you're in for a really hard slog when you find the firebox roaring like a blacksmith's hearth.

And to think that I used to bitch when I found banana skins and heaps of old newspapers on the cab floor. Didn't know how lucky I was....

Cheers, John.
Old 27th August 2023, 19:03

When I was at work a woman would get a phone call from her husband at break time. She had told me her husband would be driving a steam loco at the weekend, when she was on the phone I asked her what he would be driving. She gave me the phone, he said it would be King Edward 1 double headed with I can’t remember what. I asked how do they keep the locos synchronised, he said it wasn’t a problem but the front one had to do the work looking out for signals. He had cut his teeth on Black 5’s. Later his wife said he had withdrawn his services because the company was using unqualified drivers, or something like that.
Old 27th August 2023, 20:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereward View Post
I asked how do they keep the locos synchronised, he said it wasn’t a problem but the front one had to do the work looking out for signals.
Yes it's a rulebook requirement that the train is 'driven' from the leading cab. If that's not possible then there are restrictions and it certainly won't be running at linespeed.

There's no need for synchronisation as the 2nd loco is independent. When the locos are working in Tandem (as opposed to Multiple) the lead driver can signal their intentions (eg, starting away) using the whistle (and maybe walky-talkies ?). The 2nd driver can feel what's happening, as the loco sounds and behaves differently to when it is under its own power. If they don't apply power when the first loco does they'll effectively be coasting. Conversely if they're still powering when the lead loco shuts off they'll be propelling it and they'll feel it.

Quote:
Later his wife said he had withdrawn his services because the company was using unqualified drivers, or something like that.
I know there is a company (which has had some significant incidents) that some mainline drivers won't work with. This is not pettiness or politics - if you're on the footplate when someone else screws up it can go on your record too - not to mention getting killed.

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 28th August 2023 at 16:58.
Old 28th August 2023, 16:57

John to the rescue again - I linked to that baboon story sometime ago, your comment was : "If it is on YouTube it must be right." LOL, if I remember right.