09:46

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Delays after west coast upgrade (BBC News)

Old 15th December 2008, 09:00

Delays after west coast upgrade (BBC News)

Trains on the newly upgraded west coast mainline are disrupted on the first working day of the new timetable.

More from BBC News...

Old 15th December 2008, 13:50

I have noted the comments of the Network Rail chap about how these works will make it more attractive for people to use the railway city to city.
My wife wanted to visit our daughter in Cardiff by rail. The cheapest railfare she could get was £105. 47p for a journey of nearly 5 hours, with 2 changes.
I hope the fares are more "attractive" on the WCML.
Paul.
Old 15th December 2008, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF News View Post
Trains on the newly upgraded west coast mainline are disrupted on the first working day of the new timetable.
So things can only get better then ! Umm - I think not
Old 15th December 2008, 16:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC News
Two of the four tracks through a section in north London have been closed after a fuse blew on a track.
So, the usual blithering drivel from the Beeb. Mere facts never bothered journos from aunty. What they really meant to say was a Track Circuit Failure, which is of course an S&T issue.

Railnews (bless 'em) make more sense of it in this linky here http://www.railnews.co.uk/news/gener...timetable.html
Old 15th December 2008, 17:02

I wonder if any passengers "Blew a fuse"
Old 15th December 2008, 17:40

In defence of the people who have done the "graft". I would have thought it nigh on impossible to have done any construction of this scale, and not had some teething problems.
It's the smart arses who make the ludicrous PR statements I cannot be doing with.
Paul.
Old 15th December 2008, 19:50
Station Manager

I agree with you Paul. It is always left to the so called spokes person to explain the reason for a failer they know nothing about. Then the "journos from aunty" put in their 2 pennys worth and all we get from them as Flying Pig said is "blithering drivel".
Old 15th December 2008, 20:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY011 View Post
I agree with you Paul. It is always left to the so called spokes person to explain the reason for a failer they know nothing about. Then the "journos from aunty" put in their 2 pennys worth and all we get from them as Flying Pig said is "blithering drivel".
Sometimes I can be watching a programme that has a railway connection, and I will see something so blatantly wrong that my eyes nearly "pop".
My dear wife always says to me that no one will know.
I tell her that "I know". My arguement is that they have got something wrong that I know about. How do I know that they have'nt got it wrong when it is a subject I know nothing about.
They have a duty to get the information right, but you cannot make capital out of giving the right information.
Rant over.
Paul.
Old 15th December 2008, 21:10

I hate the way that the news report makes out it was the first ever day of the new timetable when in fact it was the first working day (which they do say but don;t emphasise it).

Iwas on the first VT out of Manchester on Sunday (08:05 to Euston via Crewe), and in fact I bet this got in early, there were problems between Crewe and Stafford to it ended up going non stop from Crewe to Milton, I think it is great there is an hourly via Wilmslow and Crewe now.