17:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Freight Operations and Observations

MOD Kineton and its Railway History

Old 9th August 2018, 18:14

MOD Kineton and its Railway History

I was challenged to look at MOD Kineton by someone who read my blog on Bicester Military Railway. This post is the result. ....

https://rogerfarnworth.wordpress.com...ailway-history

Quote:

MOD Kineton developed as a depot in the Second World War. Construction began in 1941 and the depot came to occupy most of the land between Kineton and Temple Herdwyke. It was a Central Ammunition Depot, it also served during the war as a transit camp, with Polish and Czechoslovakian troops based there.
The site continues in use into 21st Century. Much of the original railway and sidings at MOD Kineton has been removed but the depot continues to be rail-served and to have a significant internal rail network.

Old 10th August 2018, 08:05

Having been to MOD Kineton several times the same thing crossed my mind. I was surprised how well used the rails appeared to be and no weeds.