22:30

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Birmingham Snow Hill

Old 30th June 2009, 12:24
Registered Member

Birmingham Snow Hill

Well in the fifties, as a young lad, I went to Snow Hill station one day with my dad, I cant remember why we went, but anyway I have never forgotten the atmosphere of that station, it made a definate impression with me, a typical main line station of the fifties, the hugeness of the place and the general atmosphere, it is one memory that I will never forget.

Having said that, I have been reading a book lately and in that book it featured Nottingham Victoria Stn. Now looking at the photos of it ,that too was a nice big station a typical railway stn during the steam days and they raise it to the ground, what a crying shame. Someone somewhere ought to be totally ashamed of their actions for what happened there. "Grrr"

Old 30th June 2009, 13:06

The only bit of Nottingham Victoria is the clock tower & the hotel if you count that.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKbzSamVOmI

I was born in Nottingham & lived there till 1967 Victoria was a favourite haunt of mine in the late 50s & early 60s.
Old 30th June 2009, 15:22
Registered Member

Yes it was a terrible shame, I must admit I never went to that station but it looked a real grand station from photos I have seen. A total disgrace.

Old 3rd July 2009, 00:15

I can remember Snow Hill from the 50's and also as a young lad, because my sister was courting a soldier from Hockley, B'ham 18, but stationed in Essex. Slightly off topic, I can even remember his name and actual address.

Back to the topic (Sorry), I was taken to Snow Hill a couple of times when visiting the area, mainly because of my Love of railways.
Old 3rd July 2009, 22:04

Used to find it fasinating how a huge station could be reduced to nothing by the early 1970's and then watched the rebuilding and rebirth of Snow Hill during the 1980's...goes to show it's NEVER TOO LATE! Just a shame, it's still so politically orientated to get railways beyond the drawing board though...
Old 4th July 2009, 10:15

A little known fact about the rebirth of Snow Hill is it may not have happened at all if the bridge over what is now the Queensway hadn`t been rebuilt when the station was moving towards closure. I saw a photo of quite a dillabidated station with a section of brand new paint over the road.
Richard
Old 5th July 2009, 14:00
Registered Member

Thats interesting Richard. Glad it was rebuilt though, even if it was only to preserve the name of a grand old station.