00:29

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Railway Stations

Platform Edges

Old 15th August 2007, 09:41
Registered Member

Platform Edges

Hello All
Does anyone know when and why platform edges were painted white, Years ago they were left unpainted. Also note in the photo of the old platform there's no overhang.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg painted & unpainted.jpg (210.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by locojoe; 15th August 2007 at 09:44.
Old 15th August 2007, 16:55

They where painted white so that they're easier to see so that people did go falling off the edge, it's part of a health and safety thing. I don't know whether people fell off platforms a lot before that, but I'd imagine that they didn't. No idea about the overhang though.

Adam
Old 15th August 2007, 17:02
Registered Member

I think the main reason for overhanging edges. It is to reduce the gap between the carriages and the platform edge, this increases safety for passengers alighting and boarding. It can also provide a space into which someone can get out of harms way if accidentally caught on the track when a train is approaching
Old 15th August 2007, 20:07

I'm 99% certain it was widely done in the Second World War because of the Blackout. They would also have painted station canopy columns white too.
Old 15th August 2007, 21:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shed Cat View Post
I'm 99% certain it was widely done in the Second World War because of the Blackout. They would also have painted station canopy columns white too.
This makes sense and would explain why white edgings are not normally seen in pre-war photos.
Although it did continue after the war I got the impression from station staff in the 50's and 60's that it was one of those bull**** jobs that the stationmaster insisted on. At my local station it had to be done at least once a month and because it was messy and time consuming most porters were more than happy to let us kids do it for them How times have changed.

Quote:
Also note in the photo of the old platform there's no overhang.
Flush-faced platforms tend to be more common in Scotland (and I assume that's where the photo of 49 "Gordon Highlander" was taken) Maybe it's something to do with them being stone-built as opposed to brick or concrete?
Quote:
I think the main reason for overhanging edges. It is to reduce the gap between the carriages and the platform edge, this increases safety for passengers alighting and boarding. It can also provide a space into which someone can get out of harms way if accidentally caught on the track when a train is approaching
It also provides a space for signal wires and point rodding.