19:49

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > General Railway Discussion > Passenger Operations and Observations

Is this the right board?

Old 2nd November 2010, 19:57
Station Manager

On the Rhodesian Railways, all the diesels were fitted with a sand box and sand was jetted onto the track by air. They also had a warning bell when there was a wheel slip.

Old 4th November 2010, 12:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieboy View Post
On the old steam locos there was a dry sand feeder in front of the main drive wheels; it was the fireman's job to check and top up the sand boxes before leaving the shed. The modern diesel and electric power units are not fitted with sand systems so far as I know.
As far as i know all modern locos are fitted with sand boxes, an the class 66's are from what i've been told an heard are all auto sanding so as soon as wheel slip/slide is dected they inject sand onto the rail to gain traction. An interesting thing i heard a few years back when the 66's were new, they were blowing sand in copious ammounts into any S&C (Switches an Crossings) an it was costing Network Rail loads due to the sand wearing out the slide chairs. When the sand mixed with the grease, it formed a extreamly abrasive paste. So Network Rail asked for the auto sanding to be modified so as the drivers could apply the sand manually like any decent British Loco design.
Old 9th November 2010, 21:45

A comment on Southern Pacifics

Bullied put their running motion
In a kind of oily potion
Thus it was the wheels went round
But seldom ever touched the ground.
Clad in a kind of cardboard vest
They steamed quite quickly to the West.

I'm trying to devise a similar rhyme for A2/2s, which Toram Beg said "would slip on Portobello Sands."

DSD