23:28

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

Trespassers

Old 7th April 2021, 11:38

Exclamation Trespassers

I don't really know what to say - 2 adults with a child & a pushchair walking along the KWVR:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-56647135

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident - lockdown has seen an increase in trespassing on both the main line & heritage railways, seemingly because people believe that no trains (or at least less trains) will be running. As mentioned in the article, the KWVR has had previous incidents over the last year and I know that Network Rail, the Spa Valley, RH&DR & NYMR (& possibly others) have all reported trespassing incidents during the various lockdowns.

Tony

Old 7th April 2021, 12:17

IIUC, Trespass is a funny old law. I believe that if someone enters a property but has caused no damage, the worst that can happen happen to them is to be asked to leave.

Whoopy-Doos!

Under railway bylaws the CPS does have the power to fine trespassers, provided that a clear notice was displayed telling them not to (like they should need to be told ), but if they enter property at a non-approved place, eg a hole in a fence, then that rule won't work

What we need is a law such as "entering railway property without authority or the recognised training". Bang, woosh £1000 pound fine.

Or similarly "Causing economic/financial damage to a business". Since any railway looses money when the trains are made to stop, how about making the twonk who is responsible pay for it?

Yes I know, there's not a snowball's chance in hell - but that's how I'd roll on Planet Johnny!

Keep safe, John

Last edited by Beeyar Wunby; 7th April 2021 at 13:09. Reason: add bylaw comment
Old 7th April 2021, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeyar Wunby View Post
Or similarly "Causing economic/financial damage to a business". Since any railway looses money when the trains are made to stop, how about making the twonk who is responsible pay for it?

Yes I know, there's not a snowball's chance in hell - but that's how I'd roll on Planet Johnny!

Keep safe, John
I like this idea John. It could then also be applied next time Extinction Rebellion bring central London to halt (causing more pollution due to idling engines of the stationary traffic) or glue themselves to an electric train (one of the most environmentally friendly forms of public transport)!

Tony
Old 7th April 2021, 15:00

And another example - trespassing, fly tipping & vandalism at the East Lancs Railway:
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/04...reopening.html

Tony
Old 7th April 2021, 16:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
I don't really know what to say - 2 adults with a child & a pushchair walking along the KWVR:
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-56647135

Unfortunately, this is not an isolated incident - lockdown has seen an increase in trespassing on both the main line & heritage railways, seemingly because people believe that no trains (or at least less trains) will be running. As mentioned in the article, the KWVR has had previous incidents over the last year and I know that Network Rail, the Spa Valley, RH&DR & NYMR (& possibly others) have all reported trespassing incidents during the various lockdowns.

Tony
Why do they redact the faces of these people. Please don't say it's because of their human rights.
Stuart
Old 8th April 2021, 08:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP View Post
And another example - trespassing, fly tipping & vandalism at the East Lancs Railway:
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/04...reopening.html

Tony
Fly tipping on railways is something that should be completely stamped out if only from a safety point of view.
In some urban areas it is like riding the train through a landfill site.
Some of the dumped crap could easily blow onto the track and cause hazards.
Until rules and laws are firmly enforced I think trespass and vandalism will continue to be a major problem for all railways.