23:52

Welcome to Railway Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to Railway Forum, a dedicated community for railway and train enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   Railway Forum > News and General Discussion > Railway News from around the World

How do train fares go to the correct company?

Old 5th October 2007, 09:43

How do train fares go to the correct company?

Can anyone explain how train companies get train fares for passengers who board their trains at stations at which a different train company runs the ticket office?

An example is Stockport station is owned by Virgin Trains, who run the ticket office and two out of the three ticket machines (the other one is run by Northern Rail). If you were to make a journey from Stockport to Sheffield then you can use either a Transpennine Express service or a Central Trains service, with the fare being set by Transpennine Express.

Would then for tickets sold between Stockport and Sheffield, Virgin Trains or Northern Rail get an administration fee and the remaining money be divided between Central Trains and Transpennine Express?

Of course, it’s even more complicated on other routes e.g. Manchester to Preston where 3 companies operate, or more complicated if you change trains.

Old 5th October 2007, 15:15

I have often wondered that myself! I suspect that computer records must provide the breakdown for accounting purposes.
Old 12th October 2007, 10:02

The first time I bought a ticket and used it on two different companies trains was when I caught a North Western service to Manchester, then a Central Trains service to Liverpool. As my ticket was stamped by Central Trains and collected from me as I left Liverpool Lime Street station, I thought that maybe the tickets could be checked to see how many tickets each company stamped. However, I realise that it would be a bit unlikely due to the number of tickets and many people travelling on season tickets.
Old 12th October 2007, 12:14
Station Manager

Is there a "clearing house" system like there was for wagons up to nationalisation?
Old 14th October 2007, 17:18

Its all to do with ORCATS which if people remember is what GNER kicked up a hissy fit over with grand central stopping at york. I don't fully understand it - its a minefield there is no easy way to describe it
Old 14th October 2007, 17:22

I've often wondered this too.